• 11

Near Tamilnadu - Kerala border; Peripalayam:-

An old man in his 60's wearing traditional tamil attire was sitting on the main seat under the banyan tree. Another five men's around 50's and 60's sat a step down to him.

"Ayya, everyone came". Ramu, assistant of the village chief, folded his hands infront of him with respect and told him.

The old man said in a stern voice "ellorukkum vanakkam!. I am sorry to disturb you guys at this hour. But I have an important news to inform you guys."

Commotion started between the villagers. Thinking what's so important that their village chief held a meeting in the middle of night.

"Ayya, what's that important matter that you called us here?" a villager asked him.

"The thing is...a new police officer got transferred here to our village station." Muniswamy slowly informed his peoples and absorbed them carefully.

Soon, another commotion broke down, this time it was so noisy.

'how can a police officer come to this village?'

'from the last 10 years, this village had more than 20 officers'

'this new officer will also not stay more than a month'

'isn't our village cursed?. Whoever police officer comes they either left work with in a month or either...died'

Muniswamy raised his hand, to stop the commotion. When the villagers saw their chief raised his hand, they all became silent.

"That's why I called this meeting. I don't want the 'cursed' thing to reach the new officer. Did you guys understand?". Muniswamy ordered them.

"But ayya, you know that no one ever stayed more then a month here". A villager said to him.

"The transferred officer is not like previous ones. In his young age itself he achieved so much!" This time Vinayak, son of Muniswamy told the villagers.

"Let's trust this new officer" Vinayak told them. The villagers believed their chief's son words.

"And how's the work going for jatharai??" Muniswamy asked the poojari's and in-chargers of their village jatharai.

"Everything going smoothly, ayya". One man informed them.

Muniswamy nodded his head. "This jatharai is important to our village. We celebrate once in every 10 years. I don't want anything to go wrong".

"This time everything will go smoothly, appa. I have a hope in new officer". Vinayak said him.

Muniswamy stood and joined his both hands infront of everyone. "As I said, I don't want you guys to talk about 'curse' infront of the new officer. We will leave now".

Muniswamy, Vinayak left the place and walked towards their white ambassador car. Vinayak opened the door for his father and sat beside him. Ramu, their assistant started the car.

Peripalayam is a small village with 100 to 150 homes surrounded by greenary and mountains. The people living here are mostly dependent on the farming for there living.

Muniswamy's ancestors ruled this area more then 200 years, the people living in the Peripalayam would respect their family words as god's word. From past few years there was a tradition to grandly welcome their village deity by conducting five days of jatharai.

Adults who left their homes for jobs or studies would return to their home to attend this jatharai. This happens once in every 10 years to worship their deity for looking after them.