• 15

Karthik listened to him carefully.

"It all started ten years back. Once peaceful village turned into hell with his entry. He started his dirty work; drinking in schools, misbehaving even with a twelve years old girl.

We tried to file a case against him, but no lawyer or higher officer were ready to fight against that person. By all this we knew one thing, he was not small goon as we thought.

As it was jatharai time, Ayya (Muniswamy) tried to talk with Selvan. After few negotiations, Selvan was finally agreed to not disturb the jatharai on one condition. He asked few acres of land deep inside the mountains to be his. As he wished, Ayya gave him land and Selvan kept his words not disturbing us.

That was the fourth day of jatharai, as a tradition and practice on that day from morning till evening dances, songs will be played continuously. At the end of the program our village girls will do a dance-drama performance to tell a tale of our deity.

That day was the first crime he did. Selvan visited the jatharai, when Ayya asked him why did come here, he said he was bored staying in mountains. And his eyes fell on Rukmini, the teacher of that dance-drama group. As the performance ended, he misbehaved with her, she slapped him infront of many peoples. With anger and desire, that cruel beast...raped that poor girl... infront of everyone. And we didn't able do anything as his men's surrounded us. That day our village lost it dignity not protecting a women. That day Ayya's daughter-in-law left the home with her daughter and never returned back. And that day...I lost my eldest daughter!.....he killed my daughter Rukmini!". Lingam said while tears running down his cheeks. Karthik got up and hugged Lingam and consoled him.

Lingam hugged him back, those memories always hunted him. "He brutally raped my daughter infront me..and I can't even able to help her.... I wish no father can see his daughter like that!!".

Karthik's eyes were blood shot. When he heard about that Selvan, he thought he heard that name before. But when he heard about Lingam's daughter, he felt like encountering that bastard. He was sad to know what happened to his daughter, he felt that father thing. Even he was the father of a girl now.

Lingam wipped his tears. Raghu brought a chair for him and Devendra passed him a water bottle. Karthik made him sit on the chair.

"That day was his beginning for everything , from that day villagers feared to send their women, girls even old ladies out of their homes. He used to forcefully collect money from the vendors, would steal cattles.

But everything stopped five years back. Selvan didn't showed from that day onwards, but his right hand, Bhai was no less then him. Instead of Selvan he started to do those things.

In those ten years totally twenty officers came here as transferred officer." Lingam told to Karthik. His eyes brows knitted.

"Twenty officers in ten years?". Karthik asked again to confirm it.

"Yes sir. But from last five years, it's fifteen officers who changed due to Selvan". This time Raghu informed him. Karthik thought for sometime.

"What happened to last transferred officer. Why that rascal was kept on saying about previous officer?". Karthik thought something was fishy. It's might be something big if he is correct.

"That ... officer." Bhaskar really don't want to remember about that day.

"Who? And what happened?". Karthik asked them.

"IPS officer Manikanta". Devendra said the name.

Karthik was shocked to hear it. "IPS officer... Manikanta?....are you talking about this person?". Karthik searched something in his phone and showed a photo.