• 21

Three days before the jatharai:

A small meeting was held near the police station. A big table was set under the big banyan tree near the station. People sat around the table and starting at each other. A cold war was going on.

One side Muniswamy along with Vinayak and Karthik was sitting with Constables and few elder persons of the village. On the other hand Selvan was sitting cross his legs. Dhiraj and Bhai was standing at each side of him.

"Aiya, chai!". Chotu, a tea supplier came and served everyone tea.

"Why do you want to stay here?". Muniswamy finally asked Selvan. He still didn't understand him.

Today morning he got a message from Selvan that he want to discuss something with him. Muniswamy first hesitated looked towards his son for the solution. Vinayak was in a deep think and finally said. "Let's discuss this with Karthik."

Karthik was informed by Vinayak about Selvan. Muniswamy was indeed scared of Selvan. 'Does he want to do some negotiation? He want land again?'.

Karthik thought for some time. 'It's been four days he came back but didn't meet me?. Then I will meet him...'.

"Say him to meet near the station!."

Muniswamy held a big meeting near the station as per Karthik instructed.

Selvan looked towards Muniswamy and asked "Why can't I stay here?".

"Because of your old crimes". Muniswamy said in a high tone.

Selvan narrowed his eyes for Muniswamy's high tone. Then he looked at Karthik who was sitting beside him. And smirked. 'Is he really that high, you guys aren't afraid of me?'.

Muniswamy doesn't know why he dared to raise his voice infront of Selvan, maybe because Karthik was beside him.

"Ok. I promise I won't repeat that mistake but let me stay here". Selvan said them.

"No way!". An elder person said loudly enough to be heard by everyone.

"Yes! Aiya don't agree to his request!".

"After all, Nayin val eppotum valaintirukkum!".

"Yeah!, A dog's tail is always crooked!! Don't know what he will do this time!!".

The commotion started, they kept on talking and scold bad about Selvan.

'The audacity they are saying these words infront of him. Is he really that good officer?'. Selvan silently raised his eyebrow on Karthik. He should agree, Karthik had different aura compare to other police officers.

Selvan patiently tapped his fingers on the table. When he reached his limits he banged on the table making everyone close their mouths.

Karthik looked amused. 'did they pissed him?'.

Muniswamy narrowed his eyes on Selvan.

"Ok, ok. Let's make deal. Let me live here until jatharai finishes!. By that time if I or my men did anything or harm someone you can happily kick us out". Selvan said loudly enough to hear him. Whoever present there were shocked listening to Selvan's last sentence, even his men looked in shock. They weren't expecting those words from Selvan.

Dhiraj already knew why Selvan went to this extend to beg them. Two days ago PettaiKaran called and informed Selvan to keep a close eye on Karthik and Selvan agreed to it.

Selvan doesn't know if Karthik knew about their illegal dealings. He should make sure that Karthik doesn't know a thing about it. So finally he decided to stay near to Karthik and keep eye on him.