• 23

Day One of Jatharai; 5:30 am:

Meenakshi was already awake before the rooster's crowing. Yesterday Usha said how they celebrate the next five days of jatharai. So as the first day, the poojai will start at 8:30am in the temple.

On the first day, the deity will be decorated with silver ornaments and  there will be a homa done to start the auspicious day. Along with that so many games, competition will be started which will last for next five days. 

And even Usha said everyone in the village will not sleep for next five days because those five days are precious to them.

Meenakshi wore a simple home wear saree and started cleaning the front yard. Even Usha along with Aarti were woke up and cleaning the floor.

Meenakshi and Aarti waved at each other and continued their work. Inserting her saree pallu and hip pleats around her waist. She stared sweeping the yard and sprinkled water.

She bought kolam powder and was thinking what design she should draw. After few minutes of thinking, she decided one kolam and drew it on the ground.

Meenakshi drew a little bit big kolam as today it was no less then a festival. She even brought different colors to fill the kolam designs. She smiled and was satisfied with her work.

Meenakshi went inside the living room and saw the wall clock

Meenakshi went inside the living room and saw the wall clock. As it was still 5:50am, she sat on the sofa. Meenakshi removed the wet towel around her hairs and clipped it to let it air dry. She hang the wet towel in back yard and saw the ingredients in the kitchen to cook for breakfast and naivedyam.

They had jaggery, few different types of grains and rice batter. "Let's do set dosai, pudina chutney for breakfast and Sakarai pongal for naivedyam!". 

Within a few hours she completed doing naivedyam along with Kushi's ragi malt. Meenakshi was separating mint leaves from steam when she heard Kushi's crying voice. She stopped her work and went inside the room.

Meenakshi scooped Kushi carefully in her arms and lulled her to stop crying. She saw Karthik from time to time. His brows were knitted.

"Kushi chellam, stop crying da. Your appa slept late yesterday.." Meenakshi said while walking back and forth while patting Kushi's back to stop her crying.

As if Kushi understood her mom's words she stopped crying and stared at her mother with her big watery eyes.

Meenakshi kissed her cheeks and took her inside the bathroom to wash her face and changed her wet diaper. She made Kushi to sit on her side waist and left room silently so Karthik can get more sleep.

Meenakshi made Kushi sit on the dining table near her while she completed her work. After doing chutney she made Kushi eat her malt.

Meenakshi left Kushi to play on her own infront of the poojai room and went inside to clean and arrange the poojai room with the flower she bought yesterday in the market.