• 54

One & Half Month Later :

The room exuded a quiet professional air, adorned with accolades and symbols of law enforcement. A substantial mahogany desk, organized with official papers and emblems, served as the focal point. Soft lighting created a serene atmosphere.

Seated on a comfortable leather chair, Karthik displayed a composed demeanor, his face reflecting both determination and contemplation. Across from him, higher-ranking officials gathered around a polished conference table, various documents neatly arranged. A large window, framed by unobtrusive curtains, offered a glimpse of the city beyond, seemingly indifferent to the significant moment within.

As pens inscribed signatures on the papers, the room resonated with the quiet gravity of decisions being made. The resignation, a choice made with consideration, now materialized in official documents. The atmosphere carried a subdued tension, filled with an unspoken understanding of an individual's commitment to prioritize family. The ceremonious removal of badges and insignias marked the transition, leaving behind a legacy within the realm of law enforcement.

"You were the most sincere person I have seen in my duty" one of the higher officials commented, smiling at Karthik.

"Remember, you can rejoin once your business is completed. This department does not want to lose someone like you.." another official added as he stood up from his seat.

"Hope we meet soon, Mr. Karthikeyan"

Karthik rose from his seat, saluted, and shook hands with his two superiors, "sure.."

He exited the room, a bit upset that he was abandoning his favourite job, but eagerer to take over CEO and take down Chinaraju and his siblings.

"Finally, I may stop from over working myself.."

Karthik noticed Arun coming towards him with a smirk on his face. He also smirked and remarked, "You must be happy.."

"Happy? It will be a little term. I am no longer overworking for you! But... I'll miss my brother-in-law" Arun added, folding his arms and smiling. He was furious when he learned about Karthik's resignation. However, after hearing Divya, he realised Karthik quit due to Kumaraswamy's condition.

"You, too, resign. And become my assistant. The position is still unoccupied." Karthik stated as he walked towards the parking lot. He only has one night to get to Madurai.

"What?" Arun followed after him. He continued to ask Karthik whether he was leaving the job permanently or if he had any plans to return.

"What are you doing? Do you not have a case to solve?" Karthik questioned, gazing at Arun, who was following him and asking a lot of questions at the same time.

"I have, but.." Before Arun could respond, Karthik turned and said, "Don't work too hard, my family is coming next week to set a date for your engagement." Don't appear to be a zombie in front of them!"

"Whoever made me work over time says this, WOW" Arun remarked sarcastically as they arrived to the parking lot.

"Stop that sarcasm!" Inside the car, Vikram defended his best friend. Arun rolled his eyes when he heard him.

"All the best and meet you next week.." Karthik stated as he sat in the passenger seat. Vikram pressed the accelerator and drove out of the government officials' building.

"Why do I feel that I should also leave this job, and take over my family business..." Arun said, glancing at the departing car. Karthik will undoubtedly be missed by him.

***
Inside Vikram's Car :

"There's a news.." Roshan, who was laying in the back seat, said this while scrolling through his tab.