Goodbye, Brother

Michael sat on his balcony and gazed at the clouds. They seemed to go on until infinity. At one point, he had thought they were beautiful. Now they were a grim reminder of losing his brother as he had fallen through the barrier. Michael sighed heavily. He missed his brother. While they might not have gotten along often, Lucifer had been there to cover for his mistakes. Because by that time, God had already made it clear that he strictly favored Michael, and the brainwashing was in full swing. He didn't believe he could make the kind of mistakes expected of his "other son" (as he unaffectionately referred to Lucifer). Michael still remembered the last time he talked with Lucifer before his fall. Of course, he had known he was up to something. He had known for some time. And it was no secret that he and their father despised one another. That day, Michael had made his last attempt to stop his brother.

As for Lucifer, he didn't like to dwell on the past and live in it. If Heaven didn't want him, fine. He didn't need to be where he wasn't appreciated. The fight for freedom and to reveal the truth had cost him the life he knew. But had it been the life for him? No. Looking back, Lucifer had even fewer regrets now than ever before. It had all been worth it. It had been a shame that his own brother had stood against him. But Lucifer didn't fault him. He solely blamed their egotistical and controlling father. Unfortunately, his eyes were opened all too late. Michael had been dragged into their father's schemes. And for better or for worse, he was trapped. But finally, he was seeing through the haze of lies. Lucifer had no part in whatever was going on in Heaven anymore. But he did enjoy the occasional news blasts in the form of letters. Maybe, just maybe, they could be brothers again. It was a laughable thought after all they had been through. But it wasn't out of the question. At least, not anymore.