9- miscommunication

Phil lets out a steady cough, his eyes trained on Dan's car that soon fully disappears around the roads corner, the speed he's going at causing some fellow pedestrians to mumble incoherent profanities.

Phil clenches his fists and sucks in his lips, biting onto the inside of his cheek.

He wants to scream. He wants to kick and yell. He wants to run after that car and punch Dan square in the face.

He's angry, how dare Dan manipulate his feelings like that?
One minute he was kissing him and being so so sweet and then the next he was verbally abusing the lad; to some extent. That's how he sees it anyway.

"Phil!"

And to make matters worse here comes his father whose face is as red as a poppy and hands are almost as clenched as Phil's.

Phil turns to him and sighs, letting out a small whimper and knowing he deserves this.

"Where on earth did you go during church? No one saw you leave and Dan didn't arrive either where did you go?!" A few passers by sneak a glance at the raging vicar, Phil blushing under their eyes and swallowing thickly, wiping his now sweaty palms into his jeans.

The vicar, who's patience is clearly wearing thin, grabs Phil by the top of his arm and roughly tugs him inside the house, slamming the front door as he then shoves the terrified boy into the middle of the living room.
Phil's lip quivers out of fear as he cowers under his fathers gaze.

"Answer me Phil, now. Where were you?" The vicar questions sternly, his eyes narrowed.

He shuffles his feet a little and takes a deep breath. "I- I was with D-Dan." He whispers quietly, trying to control his shaking.

The vicar smacks Phil's head harshly, making Phil wince and cower even more; like a small terrified puppy.

"Speak up and speak properly, no stuttering. Repeat what you said."

At his fathers request he slowly nods and clears his throat. "I- um was with Dan." Phil repeats more clearly. His fathers eyes widen for a second as he processes the information, running through all the possible circumstance for his son wanting to run off with another boy. "Its not what you think. I know right now you're thinking the worst but all we did was go out into the countryside and talk."

However his words don't seem to make a difference as the vicar continues to blankly stare off into the distance before snapping his head towards his son and chewing his lip.

"We won't do it again I promise."

"Too right you won't. Who does that rascal think he is running off with my son?" Phil winces and suppresses the urge to stand up for Dan, besides the end the rest of the time they spent skipping church was amazing, especially the kiss.

Oh god the kiss.

Without thinking Phil slowly brings his fingers up to his lips, letting out a shaky breath.

"That faggot kissed you didn't he?" The vicar growls. His voice catches Phil off guard and he suddenly panics, shaking his head. "Don't lie to me Phillip because you will get into even more trouble." Phil gets backed against the wall as his father steps forward.

"We didn't do... that. I would never." Phil cries, crossing his fingers behind his back.

If he's going to lie then at least be safe about it.

The vicars hands grip at Phil's jaw and squeezes, making a small bark of pain arise from the lad. "Why did you touch your lips then? Like there was something to savour."