57- Surpise

"Bye Gordon, try not to choke on the sweetcorn again. Bye Elle, your eyebrows are on fleek. Bye Sam-"

Phil hauls his and Dan's stuff to the end of the ward, whilst Dan himself is saying fair-well to his ward buddies. It's been another two days since Charlie 'visited' and the doctors have said that Dan is healthy enough to go home. Of course, he's not fully recovered, but he's strong enough to be at home.

The news made Dan beam like the sun and it looked like he was restraining to make out with the doctor at the time.

They wasted no time and got packing straight away, Phil helped to sign the forms of release.

It makes the church boy grin widely, as he watches Dan bounce around like a new born deer, hugging and almost looking as if he's shedding a few tears about saying goodbye to his ward friends. Of course, they have been his company when Phil wasn't here. He himself has grown quite attached to them and just the surroundings of the ward, making friends with the doctors and nurses, and just helping out.

Speaking of which, Phil smiles sadly when Dan goes over to Mary's empty bed, his fingers running over the sheets and Phil watches Dan's mouth move. He's probably thanking her.

Phil jumps slightly when a nurse taps his shoulder. He turns to see a blonde girl with a cute smile and bright set of eyes, she catches Phil off guard for a few seconds, but his attention is then immediately drawn to the familiar notebook in her arms. Mary's notebook.

"Mary didn't leave much to anyone in her will, but, she did leave her notebook to Dan." The nurse explains, handing the book over to Phil who smiles gratefully, tightly hugging it against his chest. "She was so sweet. She didn't deserve to go." The nurse has tears building in her eyes and Phil instinctively reaches out and hugs her, comforting both him and her in that moment.

She's right, Mary was sweet and was so polite and friendly to the nurses and doctors. Of course, Phil only knew her for a few days, the nurses probably knew her for way longer.

Someone clears their throat and Phil glances to Dan who's raised an eyebrow at the scene.

He chuckles before letting the nurse go, her makeup smudged under her eyes a little and she mumbles a quick apology.

"Sorry, I just miss her. She was like a grandma to me." She hiccups.

Dan's eyes soften at her words before he notices the notebook. Quickly, he snatches it out of Phil's arms and looks at it as if it was just birthed by Phil himself.

He handles it with care.

The nurse sniffs, smiling at him. "She was very talented, she often let me look at her drawings."

"She gave me a lesson once, couldn't draw even an apple for shit but... It was nice." Dan replies, hugging the notebook before breathing out and glancing up to Phil. "Shall we go home then?" He suggests.

Phil nods immediately, picking up their bags and leading Dan forward with his hand on his waist, not before mouthing 'goodbye' to the nurse. She waves and admires the couple as they disappear down the hallway.

The ward is then silent.

***

Phil helps Dan out of the taxi before grabbing their bags, Dan paying the driver.

The brown haired boy then turns around to see his house. He's grinning from ear to ear as he's missed being at home oh so much.

He then feels Phil stand beside him and corrects his thoughts. It's not his house, it's their house.

His and Phil's. Their home.