48. Protect

When Lyle spoke those words, those godforsaken words, I couldn't prevent any tightness in my chest. Nor could I prevent the wave of anxiety, or nausea, or dread. All my doubts and fears began hitting me from all directions and caused my chest to collapse from the weight.

It didn't matter how much I tried to breath. It didn't matter how much the tall irkens beside me tried to convince lyle to get us out, or go so far as to attack the door with lazers from their PAKs.

All I was really aware of was the sickening feeling of paranoia and that I was tired.

I was tired of the fighting, the running, the loneliness, and the fear. Yet every step forward we took seemed to be followed by the control brains taking three more. If their influence could stretch this far, it was surely a losing battle. It seems like an impossible situation.

They can track us, they have an army, they have the most powerful ship in the galaxy and now the whole universe bribed into submission.

What did we have to combat that!? A working hyperdrive?

Not to sound ungrateful but it wouldn't do much good if we're surrounded and outnumbered.

It's hopeless.

I didn't even register that I had collapsed to my knees in complete shock until I phased back into the argument between Red and Lyle, ripping eachother apart with words.

.....well lyle was...

He's a bookworm and Red .....well....his strength was more so in actions than in words.

"What makes you think this is the best option!?" Purple interrupted, sparing Red of any further aggression or humiliation.

"You know how dangerous the control brains are. I have to put my family above all else." Lyle hesitated, fiddling with his hands "I like you guys, honest. But..."

I phased out of the conversation again.

What was the point? What was the point in any of this? I'm going to get caught one way or another. I'm going to be used for whatever plan the control brains have. And I'm too tired to care anymore...

Is it really worth all this?

.....

"What's wrong with you!?"

Hm?

I looked up to see Red, scowling at me as Purple continued to antagonise Lyle. He wasn't scowling in the usual "ew a human" way and more so as if he wanted to glare away my intrusive thoughts.

He kneeled toward me, grabbing the collar of my shirt and pulling me toward him roughly. I grimaced in shock, immediatley taken aback by the sudden jolt and the aggressive anger on Reds face. Still, it didn't seem to be directed at me.

"Why are you just sitting around and taking it like this? Where's your annoying persistence, or your endearing passion!?!"

"You think I'm endearing?" I hummed, pleasantly surprised by this confession.

Red paused momentarily.

"Stop trying to change the subject! What happened to the human who stood up to the control brains!? Who actively made Purple and I mad beyond reason!?" He continued, slowly releasing his grip on my suit and moving his hands to my shoulders. "What happened to Y/n?" He sighed, his eyes darting over me and subconsciously rubbing his fingers over my shoulder as if to relieve me of the clear stress I was undertaking.

I placed my hands over his, gently tugging them away and holding them as I attempted to come up with a valid response. He clearly was concerned by my immediate breakdown and seemed at a loss when I didn't continue battling for freedom or trying to convince lyle to release us.