Chapter 24: Over

Peter left the tower almost immediately after they all got back. Before Cyborg was finished with the antidote. Before he even administered the cure to either Beastboy or Adonis. The procedure seemed easy enough for Cyborg and Dick to handle. He knew he would be one of the people responsible for helping Cyborg.

However, on this night, there were far more pressing matters on Peter's mind, that ended up kicking responsibility to the back burner in his mind.

Tonight was about business...

He swung across the water into the city and swung along the shore until he reached the harbor. He landed himself near the same rusted warehouse that held a strange portal to the Liminal Space. He could feel his suit crawling, pulling at him to turn around. It took most of his sheer willpower to keep himself walking to his goal.

'We need to leave this place!' the voice in his head growled to him. 'We refuse to go back there!'

'Yeah, so do I.' Peter replied as he looked around the dirt road. The lack of any working streetlights, made it especially hard to see through the darkness with the utter lack of any moon light. 'But does the end of the world sound any better to you?'

'No.'

'Okay, then.' Peter replied. 'Then why don't you shut it and just trust me? After all I'm trusting YOU a whole lot right about now.'

There was a moment of silence in his head as he peered through the darkness until he spotted the same black car previously driven by Zatanna.

'Very well.' the voice replied. 'We will allow this... For now.'

Peter nodded to himself and walked over to the car. He peered through the tinted windows, but couldn't see a thing inside. He reached down to open the door, but was shocked to feel a regular doorknob in place of the car door. He curiously twisted the knob and opened the car door and poked his head inside.

However, much to his shock, he wasn't looking at the interior of the black sedan, but instead he was looking around a dusty old mansion with towering book shelves and a spiral staircase that lead to the next floor. It's walls made of old wood and not a single light switch or overhead light was in sight. For all intensive purposes, the house looked as if it was made in the eighteen hundreds.

Peter stepped through the door and heard it close behind him. He looked back to see that the door was now just a regular closed door rather than a car door.

'Where are we?' Peter asked the voice in his head.

'A pocket dimension.' the voice replied, 'It feels familiar to us... Only... Different.'

'You've been here before?' Peter replied as he slowly walked through the candle lit halls. He turned his head and. Saw a set of large windows, but couldn't see anything outside other than darkness.

'This place feels similar to a place in our universe.' the voice replied. 'Called hell.'

Peter gasped and froze in place. 'Wait... We're in hell?!'

'We tried to warn you.' the voice replied. 'Are you going to turn back NOW? How much does she REALLY mean to you?'

Peter clenched his fists at that and buried his fear. 'Like I said... Everything.'

Peter then continued his determined march into the mansion, looking for any signs of Constantine. The hairs on his body stood up as he and the symbiote crept through the halls on high alert.

Suddenly he and the suit detected the faint flicker of a fire place, echoing from the room at the end of the hall. Peter immediately crept along the all and stopped with his back to the wall right next to the open doorway. He didn't hear any voices or footsteps. But he could hear the occasional turn of a page, followed by the faint crisp burning sound of a cigarette, followed by the strong odor that followed.