Chapter 53: The Library Of Sin

"Excellent work! Who said spiders aren't magical?" Constantine joked, standing beside the Titans monitor with Dick and Kori.

He faced away from the screen, while Peter sat on the floor behind them with a small circle painted onto the floor with strange runes inside. Within the circle, stood a small creature that appeared as only a head with legs and no eyes.

"What the hell is that thing!?" Peter panted as he scooted away from the creature.

"Not important, just some demonic cannon fodder." Constantine waved it off as he placed a cigarette into his mouth.

"I would ask you not to smoke in here." Dick said without looking away from the screen.

The paranormal detective gave Grayson a look, but didn't say anything and let it slide.

"Why did you summon that thing!?" Peter asked, keeping his eye on the creature Constantine had summoned.

"Just to prove a point, Spider-bloke." Constantine said as he walked around the room over to Peter. "With the job we're taking, a lot of things may happen. Trigon may best me. Not saying it's likely, but still. One must think ahead."

"What are you saying?" Peter asked with a look of concern.

The investigator chuckled and shook his head at Peter's anxiety fueled mannerisms.

"I'm saying that if a bloke like you can make it to Azarath of all places, then you are just as capable of taking care of this problem." He replied. "Why do you think I've been teaching you spells for the last half hour? It's not like I enjoy reading to children."

"Raven said she was the only person who could do it." Peter replied.

"A spell is a spell, lad." John replied. "It matters very little who does it. Whether it's you or me."

"Peter's right." Dick said. "We're better use rescuing Raven and letting her do what needs to be done."

"And if something goes wrong?" he asked with a smug grin and his arms folded.

"Then we're all screwed." Peter replied as he stood up and started toward the monitor.

"Well, with confidence like yours, we ARE." Constantine replied.

Peter shook his head at that as he joined his team mates at the monitor. He knew Constantine was just trying to help, but Peter was at a loss for ideas. Without Raven, he had no idea how to deal with Trigon. Even with what little he had just been taught about magic, he wouldn't dare try it on Raven's demonic father.

What was he gonna do?

Trap him in one spot forever?

No.

He needed Raven.

They all did.

"Anything yet?" He asked.

Dick peered at the screen intently and gave a half nod. "I think so... maybe."

"What is it?"

Dick pointed at the screen, showing a seismic reading of Jump City, revealing all underground structures. Peter and Kori leaned in closer to see.

"So far everything SEEMS to check out. Until you look right here." He pointed at a particular point in the city.

"Is that... the old library?" Peter asked with a confused look.

"Do most libraries on your planet travel so far underground?" Kori asked curiously.

"Not unless they've got something to hide." Dick replied with a shake of the head, then glanced over at Peter. "I think we've found it."