Chapter 35: Haunted

Peter opened his eyes with a jolt. The first thing he saw after finally falling asleep was the monotonous, grey of the concrete room he sat inside. His hands felt a little numb from having slept on them and despite having finally slept, he still felt tired. In fact he felt more exhausted than he had before. His back slept from having been slouched over for hours.

With a groan, Peter stretched his back out and stood up from his chair with a yawn.

He looked around the room in front of him, at each of the other tables.

No Batman.

Perhaps he hadn't slept as long as he had originally thought.

Finally, he turned around and went towards the door with his mask in hand. He slipped it on quickly. He needed to get some fresh air, from being inside this box.

When he opened the door, his stomach dropped and the pain of sheer dread hit him right in the chest.

How quickly did those construction guys build Bruce's facility?

Standing before Peter was a wide hallway that stretched on before him. A single circular light hung overhead at the exact halfway point of the hallway, leaving the rest of the hall in a dark haze. The only thing Peter could see in the shadows was the glistening of the walls beyond, just barely catching the light's glow. He slowly made his way down the hall, determined to find Bruce in this complex.

As he walked along the hall, he peered through the darkness, searching for any signs to help him find his way. However, the walls only appeared bare, as if they had just been finished.

He finally reached the end of the hall and came to a fork in the path. He looked both ways and saw more narrow halls leading in both directions for a few yards, each with only one singular light to lead the way. Peter stood there for a moment, trying to figure out which way to go first.

Which way looked like the right way?

Neither of them.

Eventually he let out a defeated sigh and turned to his left. He would just have to go down every hall until he found Bruce.

As soon as he took his first step, however, Peter froze in terror as the lights in each hallway began to flicker for a moment. Peter panicked, trying to figure out what was happening. However, before he could make another move, the lights failed, leaving Peter in a blinding darkness.

Peter's breathing got heavier and he froze in place, not sure where to turn, what was in front of him, or what was behind him. Eventually, through his panic, he reached his hand out, trying to find the wall so he could navigate the pitch black halls.

Suddenly, Peter's ears filled with a terrifying sound that chilled him to his very soul.

The hum buzz...

After a few seconds of listening to the sound in the darkness, Peter could see the halls lit by faded yellow light bulbs that dangled a few inches from the ceiling between the pipes that snaked along the ceiling. The walls fixed with various electrical panels every few feet between the brick.

Once the lights faded to their maximum glow, Peters stomach dropped again. The scenery was different now. The once pristine concrete floor was now covered in dust. The grey walls were replaced by red brick and each doorway he could see was lined with prison-like bars, with their doors wide open.

'W-where are we?' Peter thought, expecting a voice to answer. However, nothing answered him this time. 'Hello?! Alien super suit guy! Now would be a good time for some mental invasion!"

However, still nothing answered him.

"Sure. NOW you decide to shut up." Peter grumbled to himself.

His heart raced with terror as the began to realize that for whatever reason, he was on his own. Somehow, without leaving the lab, he had gotten lost.