Chapter 27: The Tale of Nightwing And Starfire

Dick Grayson woke up one morning with the sunlight peeking through his curtains, blinding his eyes as he opened them. He had been up until four AM that night, covering for a patrol that never came.

Peter.

He went downstairs with a yawn to see Roy, Wally, and Cyborg sitting on the couch watching a movie. Beastboy lounged on the other end with his arms folded in a frustrated manner like he had been for the past few days now. The others were much quieter than usual after the news of Peter's most recent disappearance.

Seeing the spirits of his team so broken hurt for Dick to see, but he wasn't sure how to fix it this time. It seemed that whatever happened to Peter was far different than the past few times. He wasn't lost or taken, he simply left without saying anything. The only one who knew was Raven, and she hadn't left her room since the previous night and refused to speak to anyone at all. Given Peter's behavior as of late, it didn't take much detective skill for the former Robin to figure out what had happened.

The teams morale was in shambles. One of them missing, and another locked in her room all day.

This was a nightmare...

He passed back through the living room and the others didn't look up from the movie.

"Morning everyone." Dick waved in a chipper tone.

"Is the afternoon." Beastboy grumbled without looking at him.

Dick rubbed the back of his head. "Oh yeah... Right." He looked off. "Well I guess I'll be in the crime lab if anyone needs me."

"Have fun." Wally replied sarcastically.

Dick let out an exasperated sigh after that and shook his head as he walked out of the room. As he walked down the hallway toward the crime lab, he came face to face with Starfire at the other end of the hallway. Her gaze lowered into one of great sadness like the others.

However, Dick couldn't help but smile at her, his chest fluttering all the while. "Hey, Star!" He waved.

The emerald eyes of the alien princess lifted to meet Dick's gaze. Her spirits noticeably lifting slightly.

"Greetings, friend!" She chimed, flying over to meet him.

"You okay?" He chuckled at the sight of her excited demeanor.

"Oh yes! I am most overjoyed to see the earthly emotion of happiness again!" She chimed, spinning in a circle in front of him. "It had been most unpleasant lately."

Dick nodded at that with his arms folded. "Yeah... Tell me about it." He replied. "I hate seeing everyone like this."

"Oh but it is not your fault!" She replied. "Surely you know that!"

Dick gave a timid chuckle in response and simply shrugged in response. "Hard to not feel that way... I am the leader after all." He sighed.

"Our friends are upset because Peter is our good friend." She replied. "But he is changing before our very eyes... He is behaving like a zorbian grebnax."

Dick chuckled at that even though he had no idea what she was talking about. "I know... I just can't help but feel like I'm overlooking something."

Starfire smiled compassionately at him and rubbed his back trying to comfort him. "Our friend WILL be found." She assured him. "I believe we should focus on lifting the spirits of the others. They need you more than ever."

"Any suggestions?" He replied with a sarcastic chuckle.

Starfire's eyes lit up after that and she rose a few inches into the air with excitement. "Ooh! Ooh! I know!" She replied, granting a chuckle from Dick in response. "We should take everyone out for a day of the earthly fun! Like we used to!"