Chapter 62 Hayden

"My baby! Where is my baby?" Bea cries running into the police station. We hear wailing and Bea looks around. We find Gary carrying Avery and coaxing her. "Avery!" Bea runs and takes the child from him. She holds the child's face and kisses her. Avery stops crying seeing her mother. Bea holds her little hands to her lips and whispers, "Mama is sorry." I pat the child's head, smiling with tears in my eyes.

"Get away from her!" We turn around and see a cop holding onto Mira. Mrs.Larson steps forward and looks at us. "Is this your child, Ms.Dawson?"

"Yes!"

"That's my kid! She's lying!" Mira yells and tries leaping for Bea but the cop grips her shoulder.

"No Avery is mine," Bea whispers and turns around, shielding Avery away. Right then, Lucah and Teagan walk into the police station. They freeze, noticing what was happening. I look at Teagan and nod. She steps closer to us and Lucah follows.

Mire scoffs. "Don't lie. You didn't even want her. That's why i adopted het," Mira says. "Why would I take Avery if it wasn't my child? I could have just gone and lived my life with my partner. I wouldn't be living with you in the first place if it was your kid. That's my child, that is why I took it."

Bea turns around and hisses, "You stayed with me because you ate my money."

Mira chuckles. "I paid the bills. Why are you lying, sweety?" She looks at the cop "If you leave my hand I'll show you proof."

I wrap my arm around Bea and give her a squeeze. "Bea slogged her ass for you. Are you going to deny that?"

Mira looks at me. "Oh naive boy, she earned for herself. Everything she earned, she used it for her enjoyment."

Bea gasps. "After everything I've done.." Bea trails off as tears roll down her cheeks. I pull her head close, letting her rest on my chest. "She's lying," she whispers.

"I know."

Having gotten free, Mira storms off to her bag and takes out a bunch of papers. She holds them out to Larson and says, "Here is the adoption certificate signed by me and my husband. Here are the bill receipts. They are all in my name. Hospital bills. Also, in my name."

Bea pulls away and looks at her, shaking her head, "You adopted the kid from me. Y-you did it because dad didn't want me to be a young parent. You put everything on your name because you were the adult. I took all my money and gave it to you. You never earned a single day!" Bea argues, raising her voice for the last sentence.

"I did, Bea. Why are you being ungrateful?"

Bea scoffs, "Me or you?"

Mira hands Larson another bunch of papers. "Everyone knows I'm an artist and I earn from the exhibitions I conduct. Here's the proof. I even taught art. Hayden over here was my student."

Larson looks at me. "Is this true, Mr. Fenwick?"

Shit. "Uh. Yes, she was recommended by my teacher. At first ,I didn't know they were related." I look at Mira full of spite. "You told me that was your niece's kid. Which mother disowns her own kid?" I growl. I feel Bea flinch and I immediately regret my words.

Mira laughs, making me want to slap her. "That was niece's child who you saw the first day. Children tend to look alike. My relatives think they are twins."

"Lies! She has no relatives. All her people are in Mexico!" Bea yells. The loud sound makes Avery cry. Bea rocks the child and her voice drops again, "I'm sorry. Mama is here. Shhhh it's okay."

"I saw the child at your house more than once," I remind Mira.

"That was Avery, yes."

"You told me the niece's name is Avery," I note.

"Aveline. I said Aveline," she says unfazed.

Mrs.Larson cuts in, "Ms. Smith, Ms. Dawson told me you disowned the child after"

"She just wants my child. Bea always hated me, especially after we got Avery because her father got more affectionate towards the child. She blamed me for taking him away and now she's taking revenge. She said it with her own mouth," Mira says as she cries but no tears fall.

Wow, does she can act.

"Ask her if she has proof! Ask her if she has a birth certificate? Ask her who the father is?" Mira yells. "I gave you all the proof. What other proof do you need?"

I look at Bea. She looks scared. Her hands are shielded over Avery like as if someone is going to hurt her. "Do you have a birth certificate?" Larson asks.

Bea shakes her head as she holds Avery tight and cries. "I searched in my house but there is none. My dad was in charge of everything. I was too young. I don't know."

"See I told you! She has no proof cause she is lying-"

"NO!" Bea cries and Avery starts wailing too.

"Why will I want a kid that isn't mine? I have a lovely partner. I could just be with him happily," Mira reasons.

"Why did you hurt me then and threaten Bea if you are so confident," Teagan questions. "And where is he? Where is your lovely partner?" Teagan mocks and looks around.

"We are searching for him," Larson informs.

Teagan defiantly walks towards Mira, "Is your partner out there doing your dirty work? Plotting on one of us next? Or did he leave you and run?"

"Who are you?" Mira asks. "I haven't even seen you before."

I clench my fist.

"The person who will get justice for Bea and make you pay for what you did to me," Teagan says and points her finger at Mira. "You can act all you want but the Dna of my attacker aka Pierre will be more than enough." For the first time, I see Mira's expression change.

"Okay now if you allow me to do my job." Larson walks forward and holds out her hand, looking at Bea. "I'll need to take the child."

Bea shakes her head and turns around. "Please don't take my baby away from me."

"I'm sorry Ms. Dawson but you have no evidence to your claims yet. The child is required to be shown in court. I can't let you have the baby yet."

"No!" Bea protests and tries walking away. Gary holds his hand out, stopping her.

"We'll bring the child to court," I tell the cops stepping closer to Bea.

"The child will be taken good care off, don't worry. Until a legal decision is made, We can't allow you to keep the child."

"When will that be?"

"Hopefully the first Hearing will be this weekend"

"That's in three days!" I exclaim.

"Gives you enough times to get evidence."

Mrs.Larson tries to take Avery again but Bea won't let her. "Bea kindly give the baby or I'll have to use force," She warns but Bea continues begging, "Please don't take my baby." Larson gestures Gary to help and they move closer. Gary puts his hand on the child and I quickly stop them, "Wait!" they look at me. "Let me do it." They nod and step back.

"Hayden please don't let them take her," she begs.

I cup her face in my hands and wipe her tears with my thumb. "I promise I'll get her back," I whisper as a tear drop rolls down my cheeks. I slowly take Avery from her arms and kiss the child. "I'll take you home soon, my baby." Bea just stands there crying until I hand Larson the child. Then she snaps and springs forward, yelling, "Please don't let them take her. Hayden, stop them! Stop them!" I wrap my arms around her waist, stopping her from charging at them. I pull her close and keep telling her, "I promise I'll get her back. I promise to get her back. I promise."

Teagan takes Bea and goes outside. I stay back with Lucah and talk to Mrs. Larson for a while. When we head outside, we to find both of them hugging. Bea pulls back and walks towards Lucah. "Thank you. Thank you so much," she cries, joining her palms in front of her face. Lucah holds her hands and shakes his head, "I was just lucky my planned work. It was you three that did all the searching. It was the least help I could do."

"It means the world," she says and gives him a quick hug.

"How did you manage to find them?" I ask and he tells me how after talking to Bea that day at Teagan's place, he felt bad for her. She apparently told him everything about Avery, her ex and me. He felt bad he mistook me and thought how he could fix this. Then he remembered hearing Mira talk about Alfonso in some interview. So he asked Alfonso to help. Alfonso, however, was skeptical and hesitated to get involved. But then Teagan got stabbed and Lucah forced him to agree. He went to Mira's art gallery yesterday, pretending to meet her. Finding her not there, he left, acting disappointed. A few hours later, he got a call from her and they agreed to meet privately today. Thereby falling into her doom.

I hug him and pat his shoulder. "I want to thank you and apologize too." He pulls away and frowns. I look at Teagan and back at him. "To both of you. Thank you for what you did." I look at Teagan. "Because of you, my dad trusts me. And I'm sorry." I look at Lucah again. "For messing things with you and Teagan. I felt really bad-"

Lucah shakes his head, "I'm the one who should apologize. I was dumb enough to not realise Zayden was your twin."

"I'm the one mostly to be blamed," Teagan mutters.

"Okay. Lkay. Past is past. You love me, that's what matters," Lucah says and throws his arm around her.

"So she finally told you!?" I grin

"Told? Man, she proposed with drawings, poems and flowers. Made this really cool video. So romantic I swear. We were in the middle of our date when Alfonso called."

I look at Bea and find her deep in thoughts. Then I look back at Lucah and pat his back. "I'm very glad to hear this. Well, you two better get back to your date-"

"What are we gonna do next?" Teagan asks.

"You are going to go make love with your boyfriend," I tell her with a serious face. She smacks my arm and blushes. I giggle. "I'm going to go talk to my father. Hopefully, he would know what to do." Because I have no bloody clue...