RJ Caswen: I'll Stand by You Pt. 6

Summary: EJ grieves through Ricky's death and having doubts on whether he's ready to be a father or not, but Ashlyn talks to him and encourages him to move on with his life and take care of the baby, even to make Ricky proud.

Note: Phillips is back.
--------------------------
*a few hours later*

EJ was still in grief after Ricky died. He had a breakdown in front of his loved ones. Everyone else also went and said their goodbyes to Ricky until a little bit later, they went home while the EJ's parents stayed and comforted their son as well as Ashlyn, Nini, Mike and Lynne, so they would all grieve over Ricky together. EJ couldn't stop blaming himself for being the reason that caused Ricky to suffer through the pain during his labor. His parents and Ricky's parents told him to not try to blame himself. And when the parents went home for the night (even for Lynne as she planned to stay overnight at Mike's), Nini and Ashlyn took EJ to the cafeteria to get him some food, although he hardly ate when he couldn't stop thinking of Ricky.

Shortly after, EJ, along with Ashlyn and Nini, went over to a window that showed the nursery with all of the newborn babies in their bassinets. Then he caught a glimpse over at his daughter.

"There's my goddaughter," Nini pointed at EJ's daughter.

E.J. smiled a bit, but it was sort of a sad smile.

"Wow. She's beautiful, Eej. She looks a little bit like Ricky," Ashlyn said.

"Yeah, she does," EJ replied softly.

Then his tiny smiled faded away and he started to feel his eyes being filled up with tears. It was too difficult for EJ to see how his daughter looked a bit like Ricky because of how it kept reminding him that he was gone forever. The nurse from earlier picked up the baby girl and carried her with before she stepped out and approached to EJ.

"Mr. Caswell, do you want to hold your daughter?" the nurse asked.

EJ looked at the little girl. He covered his lips with a hand and broke down into tears once again.

He shook his head, saying, "I can't."

"Eej, it's okay," Ashlyn tried comforting his cousin.

"I can't do this," EJ said in a shaky voice.

"EJ..." Nini tried to talk.

"I'm sorry, guys. I... I have to go," EJ started backing away a couple steps.

"Don't go, EJ," Ashlyn tried to reach for him.

"I'm so sorry."

EJ turned himself around and ran off as far away from Nini, Ashlyn, the nurse and the baby as he could go.
----------------------
*hospital parking lot*

EJ ran out of the hospital and rushed to get to his car. Once he hopped in, he started sobbing again. Five minutes later, he started up the car but then he was having second thoughts. Should he drive off and leave his life behind? Or should he go back inside the hospital to be daughter and be a good daddy who's going to love her for the rest of his life? Life was filled with tough decisions.

Then EJ turned off his car just when he heard a couple of taps on his window and he turned to see Ashlyn was there. He rolled down his window, but noticed that his cousin was pissed at him.

"Hey," EJ greeted nervously.

"What the hell, EJ? You were gonna drive away and abandoned your daughter instead of being there for her, because of the fact that Ricky is now dead? Is why you don't wanna hold her in your arms after the nurse was offering nicely?" Ashlyn questioned.