Moving

For as long as we've been together, everyone thought that the Bash Brigade would be together forever. Nobody believed that more than us - and for a while, that's exactly how things were panning out. But life goes on and things change.

The four of us attended the same college in Michigan for a few years. We became legends and played many events and local gigs. Of course, we continued our hockey for as long as possible. It wasn't an easy ride, but going through it together made it a lot more bearable and way more fun. The graduation parties went on for a couple weeks and were chaotic to put it lightly. Everyone got completely wasted and we played at plenty of parties - we got used to performing drunk. It was so much fun and we all deserved it.

However, reality kicked in soon after, making the whole experience bittersweet. We'd been putting it off for so long, but we had to decide what our futures would hold and didn't want to take the next step. None of us had ever had to make such difficult decisions before then. Nagging parents and time tick away worked against us. Many nights were spent shedding tears as we deliberated. It was a draining process, but we eventually made our final decisions, no matter how soul destroying they were.

I remember when we revealed our plans to each other. We went out for lunch to talk things through. From the moment we walked through the doors, there was a damper on the scene. There was no escaping it - we had to face reality.

"I guess I'll go first." Fulton volunteered. "I'm gonna go back to Minnesota. My mom doesn't have a lot of help and I don't want her to struggle. Plus I've learned how to fix a lot of stuff, so I'm sure I'll be able to find local work." He showed off his big heart.

"Just don't let helping out your mom hold you back from what you want to do." Kenny advised.

"I don't really know what I wanna do yet anyway, but I want to help my mom, so we'll see where it goes from there." Fulton assured us.

"They're gonna love having you around." I fully believed my words considering the protector reputation he earned back home.

"Can't complain about being homesick anymore." He joked to try lighten the mood. "Someone else go before I overthink it and start crying for the millionth time this week."

"Okay, uh, I'm going back to Chicago to work at my uncle's construction company for a little bit while I figure stuff out." Portman took the lead.

"And I'm going with him." I revealed that I'd be moving with my boyfriend. "We're still looking for a cheap apartment. I don't entirely know what I'm gonna do - maybe something with the local hockey teams, or maybe I'll take a business course. I don't know. But I love Dean and I want to make a life with him."

"A business course could be a smart idea." Ken always had our best interests at heart.

"I have a few business ideas, but I don't know if any would work or if I'll try half of them, but we'll see."

"I can see you as the head of a business." Ken gave me confidence.

"Can't believe I'm losing you both to Chicago." My best friend since birth stared at the table in disbelief.

"You're not losing us, Fult."

"Yeah, dude, we're gonna call you every day." Dean tried to ease his mind, though we all knew it wouldn't be that easy.

"You too, Kenny."

"Yeah, that's great, but, uh, that's gonna be a little harder to do." Ken was reluctant to make his revelation.

"What do you mean?" Dean questioned.

"I'm... I'm moving to England." Our eyes widened with shock when he dropped the bombshell.