CHAPTER 12

NAVINA

"So, what's going on with you and Caden?" I look up from my book and see Eden lying on her stomach on my bed, her book in front of her. I'm on the bean bag chair directly across from her bed.

I frown. "What do you mean?" I ask, trying to seem oblivious to the emotions stirring within me.

"Well, you two seem to be getting chummy, and you haven't talked about it," she says, shrugging. She props her chin on her palm, her dark eyes fixed on me. Her black hair is in a bun on top of her head, and she's wearing a black hoodie and dark blue jeans. I can also see her black socks peeking out.

I shrug. "There's not much to say."

"Really? Because it looks like there's something between you two. Don't think I haven't noticed the chemistry," she says.

I sigh in frustration as I close my book, slipping in a bookmark to avoid losing my place. I look up at her and start to spill. "What do you make of him?" I ask.

She pouts her lips, staring at the ceiling before looking back at me. "Mysterious. Untrusting. Probably has parent issues. Definitely messed up. He seems smart and broody. Kind of reminds me of Colby," she says with a shrug.

I raise my eyebrows. "And what if I told you I've been seeing Thara... dead?"

Her eyes widen. "What?"

I shrug.

"Why?" she asks, her voice laced with concern and worry crossing her features.

"Well, Caden mentioned he was seeing dead people too. He said he had an idea about who did it, then he kissed me before leaving," I explain.

Eden frowns. "Okay, start from the beginning," she says, furrowing her brows and crossing her legs on the bed to face me more directly.

I sigh and recount everything that's happened so far.

Her mouth falls open as she watches me, wide-eyed. "Why haven't I heard about this for the entire month?" she exclaims, frustration evident in her voice.

I shrug. "You were busy with Chase."

"So?"

"I know, I know. But can you just tell me what you make of it?" I ask.

Eden takes a deep breath, seeming to reconsider. "Well... I think you should figure out what's going on with him. It seems like there's more to it. Maybe find a reason to visit him—like studying for geography since you both have that class. Meeting his parents might give you more insight into him," she suggests.

I frown. "Maybe. There's a test next Wednesday, so we could 'study' then. But what if something bad is going on? What if he's being abused?"

Eden's expression turns sad. "What about what Becky said about him fighting? That could explain the bruises."

"But I don't remember Thara mentioning a cousin named Becky, and she might be involved," I counter.

"Maybe. Let's finish our work, and if it still bothers you, we can visit his house. Or maybe you and your mom could go over there as friendly neighbors. Your dad is in the FBI, so he might be able to help," Eden suggests.

"Yeah, when Dad comes back, we can visit. But if I tell him what I suspect and it's not true, I could get into trouble for making accusations," I say, frowning.

"Maybe you should get a closer look. But your dad is understanding; it should be fine," Eden reassures me.

***

"Dad!" I scream as I run downstairs and hug him tightly. He chuckles and hugs me back.

"Stellina, I missed you," he says, his thick Italian accent coming through.

"I missed you too!" I reply.

We pull apart as Mom's footsteps approach. "Hello, dear," Dad says, walking over to Mom. They kiss and hug, and I watch in feigned disgust.

"Okay, you two, that's enough. Do this in your own time," I say. They both laugh and join me at the dinner table.

"When's Neo coming?" Dad asks.

"He should be here tomorrow," Mom replies.

We talk about school, art classes, and Dad's work. Dad mentions a recent case.

"We were in Columbia," Dad says. "There was a little girl in an abusive household. It was awful, but we got her out. She's safe with her grandparents." Mom's face shows concern.

"Oh gosh, I'm glad she's okay," Mom says.

Dad then hands me a necklace he bought. I think about Caden and wonder if I should say something but decide against it.

"Nav?" Dad asks. "Are you okay?"

I nod, clearing my throat. "Yeah, I'm just glad you're back."

"Is there something you want to tell me?" he asks.

I hesitate. "You said you wouldn't profile me."

"I'm not," he shrugs. "Just observing."

I reluctantly say, "It's nothing."

"Whenever you're ready to talk, I'm here," Dad says.

***

We leave the bakery, and I spot Caden across the street. He walks toward us, and I see a tall man following him. The man, in a black suit, seems to be talking angrily to Caden. Caden's anger is palpable as the man grabs his arm.

I notice the man's dark blue eyes and realize he isn't Caden's father, who has gray eyes. Concerned, I tell my parents I'm meeting a friend and head toward the pharmacy where Caden has gone.

Inside, I see him in line, his hand trembling slightly. I approach him and ask, "Are you okay?"

He looks down and says, "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"I saw you with that man," I say.

He forces a smile and says, "You didn't see anything. There was nothing to see."

As we leave the pharmacy, Caden walks quickly toward our street. I catch up and ask, "What's going on?"

Before he can answer, my parents arrive. Dad introduces himself, and Caden shakes his hand. Mom introduces herself, and Caden greets her as well.

"So where are you two headed?" Mom asks.

"We're going to the lake area by the house," I say, hoping this will give us some privacy.

My parents agree to meet us later and head back home. Caden and I walk off together.

"So, where are we going?" I ask.

nico when first meeting caden: