Chapter 49: The Final Selection Part 1

Date: December 6, 2024
Time: 9:30 AM
Location: Tanjro's House
Weather: Windy and Chilly

.
.
.

The temperature had risen a bit overnight, so now instead of having to experience very cold conditions where you have to wear a full-on winter jacket, you could wear a regular fall-season jacket. 

Tanjiro was sleeping snuggly in his bed while dreaming before he was suddenly woken up by an onslaught of messages and texts coming from his phone next to him.

"Wh...What..." Tanjiro said out of annoyance as he stood up in his bed and reached over to his phone, "I was dreaming such a good dream..." He said to himself, "It was about che-wait...no it wasn't..." Tanjiro thought to himself as he tried to remember what he was dreaming about, "God dammit..." He thought as he shrugged off the dream and decided to look at what the hell was happening on his phone that caused him to wake up.

"The number of rings from my phone made it sound like a goddam ICBM was hitting Japan or some shit..." Tanjiro said, "I finally thought World War 3 was happening..." He added before pulling up the group chat of his friends on Discord.

The 5 Senses (+Some more) GC

AoiK: @TanjiroT, where the hell are you?!

NezukoK: Where is he?

ZenitsuA: Tanjiro! Help me! Inosuke wants to eat me again!

KanaoT: What...

InosukeH: Haha! He's right!

GenyaS: Shut up Inosuke and please focus on your class.

InosukeH: How dare you tell the mountain king what to do!

GenyaS: Because you're not going to eat Zenitsu...that's just plain stupid...

*TanjiroT has logged on*

TanjiroT: Yes...who spam pinged me...

NezukoK: Tanjiro! Where are you?! You didn't come to school today!

KanaoT: Yeah!

TanjiroT: Well...I think I may have caught a fever yesterday because I may have stayed out in the snow too long...

NezukoK: Are you ok?! Hold on, after school, we'll come to your house so we can take care of you!

TanjiroT: Please...no...it's very contagious and I can barely move from my bed, you guys just showing care is all I need to get through...I swear...

KanaoT: Let us help you Tanjiro!

GenyaS: Naaa, I think he's fine. He only has a fever.

AoiK: Be quiet Genya.

GenyaS: Bruh...

TanjiroT: Please, just don't come over to my house, I beg of you, this fever isn't going to die down any time soon, so I may have to be absent for a week.

KanaoT: Is it that bad?!

TanjiroT: Yeah...

NezukoK: Well we can't just stay here and let you suffer! We'll help you!

TanjiroT: No...I don't want any of you guys getting sick, let me just do this alone, I already scheduled a doctor's appointment today, so I am doing fine. I swear.

KanaoT: Even if we get sick or not, you're still our friend. And friends are required to take care of each other.

TanjiroT: Yes, and also friends care about other friends. I care about you guys, and I don't want you to get sick. The least you could do is just drop off some food at the front of my house along with some medicine...

KanaoT: You sure?

TanjiroT: Yes, I swear. I'll be fine, so you could just drop off the food and medicine on the front doorstep and I'll come by later and pick it up. 

NezukoK: Ok...we hope you get better Tanjiro.

TanjiroT: Thanks Nezuko.

*TanjiroT has logged off*

KanaoT: I hope he gets better.

InosukeH: Yeah! I still need to fight him!

GenyaS: Shut up-oh shit my brother saw me...

*GenyaS has logged off*

AoiK: There goes Genya...

"Now that that's dealt with..." Tanjiro thought as he got up from his bed and went to the bathroom.

.
.
.
.
.
.

*Ding Dong*

"The witch is dead." Tanjiro hummed in his brain, "Must be Andrew." Tanjiro thought before turning off the TV which was playing an episode of Kimetsu no Yaiba.

"Nice paradox you created there, author...again..." Tanjiro said as he looked at an unknown area.

(Well...I could've made you watch JJBA or some shit, but I wanted to see your reaction to watching KNY in a KNY fanfiction.)

"Yeah thanks to you, I now know basically the entire plot of this series, except for the next part..." Tanjiro replied.

(Yeah, you go to the Final Selection and blah, blah, blah, you meet and defeat Muzan in the end.)

"Yeah! And I also know my OG my family, and I was the actual biological brother of Nezuko. Along with Nezuko's parents...who managed to have six dam kids in the show..." Tanjiro exclaimed.

(Bro, it was early 20th century Japan, women back then used to have on average 5 kids. I don't think having one more than the national average back then would be weird. Hell! Even Shaquille O'Neal has 6 kids!)

"Point made, early 20th century Japan is way different from modern Japan..." Tanjiro stated.

(Yeah, anyway, get back to the story, you're messing up the plot!)

"Ok ok fine..." Tanjiro said with a sigh as he went to the door and took a peak out of it.

"Yep...that's Andrew..." He said while looking out the peephole. He opened to door and was met with a somewhat annoyed Andrew, "Took you long enough." Andrew said, "I was...occupied..." Tanjiro said with a nervous expression while scratching the back of his head. "Yeah yeah, cut the crap, I already dropped off your homework at Edmund's place after he paid the ticket he received yesterday night," Andrew stated while walking into Tanjiro's house with some of his items in a small carry bag.

"Yeah, sorry. Thanks for agreeing to this by the way." Tanjiro stated, "I didn't agree to this technically out of my own will, I only just came here because it's one of my requirements to fulfill as an EIA agent to help a comrade in need." Andrew replied almost immediately, "Yeah, that's what makes our code of conduct so good! You're basically forced to help your fellow agents if they ever need help." Tanjiro stated.

"Yeah yeah, but when are you going to take that exam or Final Selection thing?" Andrew asked, "I am going to have to leave soon since the area where I am taking the exam is like 24 miles from the outskirts of the city. So I may leave in about a couple of hours."

"Alright...you go get ready...and I just do my homework..." Andrew said as he placed his bag on the living room table pulled out some books and began working.

"Aight', see you," Tanjiro said as he went upstairs to prepare his outfit for the Final Selection.

In his room, he pulled open the closet doors and searched through his wardrobe for something to wear, "Let's see...it's going to be cold out the entire time because I will be on a mountain, so a hoodie or jacket would be suitable, along with some pants with multiple pockets since the exam is an entire week, and I believe there won't be any food served other than the berries that grow in this region." Tanjiro said as he took out a crimson-red hoodie and black cargo pants.

He also took out some thermal underwear and a regular shirt to wear under the hoodie. "Right! That's my clothing situation sorted out! Now onto my equipment!" Tanjiro stated while crouching down and reaching under the bed to grab the luggage that he used during the trip to HQ.

His father's sword he repaired was still latched onto the bag via a clip that was hanging off the side of the Saya and onto the bag. He took out the sword from the bag and tossed the bag under the bed, he then went to his desk and pulled out a couple of objects: a rag, some oil, and a spray bottle.

Tanjiro unsheathed the katana and began to oil it with the blade facing down as he sat on the bed. 

After oiling the katana, he took a look at it in all of its glory. The light that hit the katana reflected off the majestic blade of black with the smooth flowing of the crimson red pattern that ran along the edge of the blade, the grip in Tanjiro's hand felt rough, but smooth at the same time. He swung the sword once and he physically felt the sword cleanly slice through the air in front of him.

"Perfect." He said to himself with a proud grin, he then reached for the spray bottle and read the label on it, "BRS 300PR" it said as he popped off the cap and shook the bottle before spraying the substance onto the blade.

After completely spraying the blade, he took the rag and started to run up and down the blade with the rag again. 

After he put the rag, oil, and spray bottle aside and in the drawer. He sheathed his sword and put it next to his clothes on the bed before running downstairs to see Andrew writing in his book with a cup of coffee on his side.

"Hey! Where'd you get the coffee from..." Tanjiro asked confusingly, "I made it with the coffee machine..." Andrew said while pointing to the coffee machine in the kitchen, "I didn't know that I had coffee..." Tanjiro said while scratching his head, "Well it seems like you didn't look hard enough." Andrew replied as he returned back to work.

"Ok..." Tanjiro while walking to the couch and laying back on it, he then took out his phone and started to watch it, "Is this what you're going to do for the next 2 to 3 hours?" Andrew asked as he gave Tanjiro a glance. "Pretty much..." Tanjiro answered to which Andrew sighed.

(Insert montage)

"Oh, the wind was foul and the sea ran high!" Tanjiro sung.

"Leave her, Johnny, leave her." Andrew sang in a blunt tone.

"She shipped green and none went by!" Tanjiro followed.

"And it's time for us to leave her." The two both sang in unison before an alarm went off in Tanjiro's pocket.

"Ope, that's time," Tanjiro said as he dismissed the alarm and ran upstairs.

.
.

A few minutes later, he came down with his hood on his head, "You going to take anything else? Or is that it?" Andrew asked, "Nope, the only other thing I'm taking with me is the earpiece so I can talk with Minato while participating in the exam." Tanjiro replied as he took out his earpiece and showed it to him before putting it back in his ear, "For what reason?" Andrew questioned, "Remember, we're trying to squeeze as much info out of these guys as we can so we can truly determine if we should eradicate them or not. And plus, I don't want to be lonely in a forest where the only thing I can talk to is the dam trees." Tanjiro answered, "I'm pretty sure you can handle yourself for like a week without human contact. Plus, there should also be others there participating in the exam, so maybe you could make some friends." Andrew stated.

"Point taken...but...what's the use of making friends with someone that's going to die in a matter of days?" Tanjiro asked, "Who knows, maybe they will become your friends and mysteriously survive this suicide game." Andrew replied, "Whatever man, I gotta go now before the exam starts." Tanjiro stated as he waved to his friend and ran out the door.

.

"Hello, Minato?" Tanjiro said as he jumped on the roof of his house and started running, "Yeah?" Minato answered, "Mind telling me where Mt. Fujikasane is?" Tanjiro asked, "Sure I guess...I mean, I have nothing better to do..." Minato replied as he pulled up the current location of Tanjiro on his computer and the location of Mt. Fujikasane.

"Alright...so you may want to take a left there and into the bushes..." Minato said. Tanjiro glanced over to the left of him and quickly shifted his direction to start running across the houses to were originally to the left of him.

After a few seconds, he saw a clump of forest shrubs and vegetation before jumping into the aera and running straight down the path. "This is a shortcut to downtown, and when you are there, you just need to head straight from there, and at this pace, you should be on the outskirts of the city in about...15 minutes or so," Minato stated.

"Alright, thanks," Tanjiro said as he continued to run through the vegetation before jumping over a wall that led into an alleyway.

He ran out of the alleyway and saw a busy street full of people on the sidewalks, and cars on the road.

Tanjiro looked across the alleyway to see if there was any other way he could avoid jumbling in with the crowd, and then he saw in the alleyway across from him, there was a ladder leading to the roof of a building. He took a few steps back into the alleyway and gained up some momentum to make the jump from the alleyway he was into the alleyway across from him.

He started to run down the alleyway and jumped across at the last second before hitting someone. He made the jump and landed in the alleyway across from him and started to scale the ladder to the roof. 

.
.
.
.
.
.