Chapter 52: Sparks

Date: December 16, 2024
Time: 6:10 AM
Location: Kimetsu High School
Weather: Very Cold and Windy

.
.
.

Tanjiro had entered the school grounds twenty minutes before school actually started, "Seems I'm here a bit early, but that's common..." He thought to himself as he walked through the front gate.

He was wearing the hoodie that he wore to the Final Selection with his school uniform underneath it. "I should've used a different hoodie when I was there, now it just smells funky and I had to put it through the washer three times in order to get rid of the stench of the forest..." Tanjiro thought as he smelled his hoodie and stuck his stuck out a bit in disgust.

"Tanjiro?" A voice called out from behind him, he turned around to see that it was Kanao standing there with her books up against her chest. "Hi, Kanao!" Tanjiro called out as he waved his hand to her. 

At a moment's notice, Kanao quickly closed the gap between the two as Tanjiro leaned back in the sudden intrusion of space and a bit of shock. "Well, that was quick..." Tanjiro thought with a bit of a wide-eyed expression. There was a bit of silence between the two as Kanao started to look up and down as if she was checking him for something. "What is she doing...?" Tanjiro wondered to himself as he stood there in silence while Kanao watched him with her bright lavender eyes.

"Thank god you're ok!" Kanao said as she broke the silence and smiled harder than she ever did. Her smile was so wide that it actually started to hurt her after a few seconds of trying to keep it, plus it was pretty creepy to see a mute girl smiling from cheek-to-cheek. "Uh...Kanao...I think you can drop that smile...you're starting to sweat a bit..." Tanjiro said as a single drop of sweat trailed down Kanao's face.

"Oh! Sorry!" She said as she bowed in an apology, "This is so embarrassing! By the way, he said that he probably must think I'm a creep!" She thought. "What's going on with he-oh wait...I'm pretty sure she is just happy that I'm back...I'm glad she was concerned though!" Tanjiro thought with a sincere smile.

"Kanao, you can stand up now, there's no need to bow...you are older than me." Tanjiro said as he chuckled nervously for a bit, "I sense a presence..." Tanjiro said as he glanced at the school and scanned the windows.

He saw the image of two figures staring at him from the top floor of the school. "Oh...Kanae and Shinobu are watching me..." He thought.

Kanae from the window was very happy and ecstatic that her younger sister was talking alone with her crush, but Shinobu on the other hand, wouldn't have it. 

"If that bastard touches my sister, I'll make sure that he'll never be able to reproduce again." She said with a very threatening aura. "Ara ara, calm down Shinobu, you should be happy that Kanao is finally learning how to socialize, and I am very confident that Tanjiro is the perfect man for her, even Aoi thinks so!" Kanae said as he tried to calm down her sister by massaging her shoulders.

"You ain't vasectomizing me today Shinobu, not in your life." Tanjiro thought with a devilish smile before turning back to Kanao.

"So...Kanao...where's Aoi?" Tanjiro asked, "Oh, she should be coming any minute now, she just had to pick up something from a cafe for my sisters." Kanao replied, "Where are the others?" Kanao then asked.

"I don't know...I think we're the only ones here..." Tanjiro said as he looked around the school grounds.

The school grounds weren't empty, to say the least, there were students wasting some time until the bell rang or they just wanted to catch up on some studying. 

"THANK YOU SO MUCH NEZUKO-CHAN!" A voice screamed out from the crowd.

The entire area went silent as all heads turned to face the person who made it. "My f*cking ears..." Tanjiro thought as he rubbed his ears. "Uh-uh...sorry people..." Zenitsu said as he bowed in apology.

The rest of the squad was with him with Aoi, Genya, and Inosuke having covered their ears at the volume of Zenitsu's scream. But apparently, Nezuko seemed unphased by it as she kept her innocent smile directed at him.

"Idiot! Why so dam loud!" Aoi exclaimed as he smacked Zenitsu on the head and he fell to the ground with a thud.

"Why did he scream...?" Tanjiro said as he and Kanao approached the group, "Nezuko gave him a little gift after he helped her with her homework yesterday and today while walking here..." Genya said.

Tanjiro's head quickly turned to Zenitsu and showed a very disappointed expression, "All of that noise, just for that?" He said. "It's Zenitsu, what do you expect?" Aoi said, "Understandable." Tanjiro immediately replied.

"By the way Aoi, did you get the food?" Kanao asked, "Yeah, I do." Aoi replied as she showed her some paper bags. "Hey! Give me!" Inosuke said as he suddenly jumped at Aoi and tried to take the bags from her.

"Inosuke! Stop! These are for our Nee-sans!" Aoi said as she tried to push him back, "I demand that you give me the food Maoi!" Inosuke screamed while pulling Aoi's hair.

Kanao grew a tick mark on her face at the sight of her sister getting handled. She raised up her fist and punched Inosuke as hard as she could. 

"Gah!" Inosuke yelped as he crashed into the stone wall that encircled the school, "Next time Inosuke, maybe don't pull my sister's hair," Kanao said with a menacing tone.

The people around her start to feel some amount of fear at the sight of Kanao's sudden menacing demeanor.

Well, all except for Tanjiro of course.

"Scary, but not as scary as my Dad..." Tanjiro thought as he shuddered a bit after he recalled the memories of his Dad getting pissed at him and his friends when they were caught doing something that they were not supposed to.

"Can someone go pick up Inosuke before Tomioka-sensei comes out and sees this?" Tanjiro asked. "I got him," Genya replied as he went and wrapped Inosuke around his shoulder, "Also Kanao, you can calm down, I'm pretty sure he's learned his lesson..." Tanjiro said while glancing over to Kanao.

"Who knows? He may never learn." Kanao said as she tried to calm down.

*Ring*

The students on the outside of the school started to fill in through the main doors as they tried desperately to get to class before the bell rang again.

"Welp, that's the bell. See you in the next period!" Zenitsu said as he walked off with the rest of the group, leaving Kanao and Tanjiro in the dust.

"Wat..." Tanjiro simply said as he initially was shocked to see his friends leaving that quickly, he soon turned around and faced Kanao, "Well..." Kanao weakly said as she tried to start some talk between them.

A few seconds of silence go by and somehow, Tanjiro gets a spontaneous idea out of nowhere a decides to excute it.

"I wonder if I just..." Tanjiro thought as he reached his hand to Kanao's head and started to pat it.

.
.
.

"EH?!" Kanao immediately said in shock and confusion. She began blushing a lot and quickly ran off into the school, leaving only Tanjiro there alone.

"Glad to know that works," Tanjiro said as he smiled and began walking inside, but before he actually opened to main door, he took a look at the same window that Shinobu and Kanae were peering from, and sure enough, they were still there, watching him.

Kanae was overly ecstatic at her sister's reaction and found it cute, but Shinobu, again, had her intentions set on killing the redhead. 

"That's it." Shinobu said as she walked away, "Ara ara Shinobu! If you do anything to hurt Kanao's only chance at love in this world, I'll make sure to tell Giyu-kun how you feel about him!" Kanae said as she tried to chuckle as innocently as she could, but in reality, that chuckle was a bit sadistic to say...

"Huh?! Don't you dare say-How could you even assum-I could never love that loner!" Shinobu stuttered as she blushed and started to chase her sister around the room.

"Ara ara Shinobu, don't you think it's childish to chase your own sister around when you are already full-grown adults?" Kanae said as she laughed and started to run around in circles around the room.

.
.
.

*Ring*

Tanjiro sits in his homeroom with his notebook out as he takes down the material that Giyu wrote on the board, "Also, for all of you in physical education and gymnastics, I'll let you guys know ahead of time that we'll be doing a run test for everyone." Giyu said as he watched the entire class go out in a mixed celebration full of groans and cheers.

The PA suddenly rings on and everyone quiets down to listen in, "May Tanjiro Tsugikuni please report to the principal's office?" The PA said before turning off.

"Oh boy," Tanjiro whispered to himself as he got up to exit the room.

He received several looks from his classmates, including Edmund and Andrew who were sitting in the back and looking at Tanjiro with a derp face as they watched him leave the room.

.
.

As Tanjiro was walking down the hall, he began to speculate whatever Ubuyashiki had called him for. "It was most likely about the Final Selection thing and how I faked my disease, or if he doesn't bring that up, it will probably most likely be a matter regarding the Demon Slayer Corps if he doesn't know about the fake illness thing. Which I don't think he wouldn't know about it..." Tanjiro thought.

He walked slowly down the hall as the soles of his shoes clacked against the hard floor, making the only sound that was present in the halls.

"Maybe it's probably about the field trip to Tokyo for Christmas for the entire school..." He contemplated, "Who knows? Maybe it could be all of the above, only one way to find out." He said to himself as he started to pick up the pace.

.
.
.

*Knock*
*Knock*

"Come in," Ubuyashiki said as he turned around in his swivel chair and faced the doorway while putting aside some papers. "Hello, Ubuyashiki-sama!" Tanjiro gleefully said as he bowed, "Take a seat, my child." Ubuyashiki replied as he chuckled at Tanjiro's actions.

Tanjiro took a seat, put one of his legs over another, and clasped his hands together as if he were sitting for a business meeting or negotiation. "May I ask why'd you call me Ubuyashiki-sama?" Tanjiro asked, "Ah yes. Recently, it has come to my fruition that you have participated in the Final Selection, despite you calling in sick the week the exam took place." Ubuyashiki replied in a soft tone, "I'm sorry, I thought I had to come up with an excuse in order to participate, my bad." Tanjiro stated in an apologetic tone, "It's fine my child, I'm just glad that you are now one of us, and that you have survived the exam, as compared to the other unfortunate souls that left and never came back..." Ubuyashiki said in guilt.

"What will happen to them?" Tanjiro asked, "If their families are alive or at least a sibling or close relative are, they will be paid in compensation. If not, which is mostly the case, then we create a grave for them in our Corps graveyard." Ubuyashiki stated, "Oh..." Tanjiro replied weakly with a face of regret. "Anyway, now that we cleared up that issue, I was also here to tell you that your meeting with the rest of the Hashira will be in a few days, so make sure you're prepared for that...even though you don't really need to bring anything special since the meeting will just happen during lunch in the teacher's lounge..." Ubuyashiki said.

"What do I need to do or bring to the meeting?" Tanjiro asked, "Nothing, my child. The meeting is only there to introduce you to the corps, how we function, and our history. I will also be present there in order to clear up some confusion if you ever come across it, and to also monitor the meeting." Ubuyashiki replied.

"Oh, that's helpful." Tanjiro stated with a smile, "Good. I also have another thing to talk about with you." Ubuyashiki asked, "What is it?" Tanjiro questioned. "It's about the field trip that we have in a few weeks to Tokyo," Ubuyashiki answered.

"Hell yeah! I guessed it!" Tanjiro quietly celebrated in his mind as he listened to Ubuyashiki, "Well you see...since we have to take the entire school with us, the need for chaperones and responsible people is pretty high right now. Some of the teachers volunteered to chaperone the trip, but it's a bit too much for every single chaperone to handle, so that's why we are asking some students to also volunteer to chaperone the trip and take on a group of small group of students. We already asked a few of the other third years, some said 'yes' and others said 'no'. We're only a few more chaperones away from being able to conduct the trip, so I highly recommend that you consider this idea in order for the rest of the school to have a good time." Ubuyashiki said as he folded his hands.

"Say no more." Tanjiro confidently said as he raised his hand, "But...will it also be for service hours?" Tanjiro added, "Of course, any student who volunteers will be given service hours by the end of the trip." Ubuyashiki replied with a soft smile.

"Ok!" Tanjiro happily replied, "Thank you for your time Tanjiro. You may be on your way and return back to class. I'll see you again sometime soon." Ubuyashiki stated as he watched Tanjiro nod and stand up from his seat.

Tanjiro shook Ubuyashiki's hand and walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

.
.
.
.
.

At the end of the day, Tanjiro stood at the front of the school waiting for his friends as he watched other students pile out and walk straight past him.

"Oh, Tanjiro," Andrew said as he turned his head to face him while walking out of the corridor with Edmund next to him. "Hey, Andy," Tanjiro said while raising his hand in greeting.

"So...where are you going after today?" Edmund asked as he walked up to his redhead, "I don't know...probably go home and do my homework...I also might have to go shopping because a certain someone ate all the food from my fridge." Tanjiro said as he pointed a glare at Andrew, "What? I thought I refilled your fridge when you got back, I even remember shopping for food." Andrew said in complete confusion. 

"You sure?" Tanjiro asked, "Yeah, 100%." Andrew answered. "Wait...if it wasn't you, then who the f*ck took all my food?" Tanjiro questioned with the same amount of confusion as Andrew, "That's for you to solve and for us to not know the f*ck about!" Edmund barged in with a very big, sarcastic smile.

"God dammit...I'll just go to the store and buy some food and probably set up some cameras to make sure no one is stealing my nutrition," Tanjiro replied as he stroked his forehead in frustration.

"Well, you do that...I and Andrew have to go because we have a test in our elective class." Edmund said as he patted Andrew's back and walked ahead with him, "Ok! See you tomorrow then!" Tanjiro said as he waved to them and looked back.

"Now where are the others...?" Tanjiro thought as he looked at a watch that he had on his wrist, "It's already 8 minutes past dismissal, they're usually here on the dot..." He thought before shaking his head and going in.

The halls were almost empty, with the exception of teachers and some students walking around the halls. 

Tanjiro started to walk down as he tried to look for at least one of his friends.

As he was walking down the halls he came to a sight that was pretty shocking to see if he were a normal person...

And let's come to the fact that Tanjiro is not a normal person.

What he saw was Kanao and Jakuna walking together down the halls looking like they were having a pretty good time together.

Hell, there was even a little blush forming on Jakuna the more he spoke to her. 

"Look's like they are having a nice time." Tanjiro thought as he noticed the scent emitting from Jakuna, "Especially Jakuna..." Tanjiro thought with a bit of a skeptical and confused look.

Tanjiro was feeling more confused than anything in this situation, his brain was telling him to dismiss it and focus on more important things, but his heart said otherwise.

His heart started to beat in a weird rhythm as compared to any other heartbeat. He held up his hand to his chest and started to feel the rhythm, "That ain't no normal rhythm...not by a long shot..." He thought as he turned around and started walking back to the door, "I feel completely fine...it's not like I have a heart disease or something...I have been keeping my health in check a lot...so what is it...?" He thought to himself as he opened the door and walked out.

"It's definitely not hurting, but it feels more deep and loud...along with the abnormal heartbeat..." Tanjiro contemplated.

"I may have to do a blood test when I come back home..." Tanjiro thought as he walked out the main gates and out onto the street.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hi! Yes! Welcome back to another episode of "High School Gossip" brought to you by Tanjiro!

Tanjiro: Hello! Today, I shall bring a little bit of info about the upcoming field trip to Tokyo! Fun! More work for the author!

Shut up...

Tanjiro: So! During the final week of December and the first two weeks of January is the semester break. But before the break, the entire school goes on a field trip to Tokyo to visit the city and look at the scenery.

Tanjiro: The entire school will be divided between about 15 chaperones, with about 53 students per chaperone.

Tanjiro: But...considering that there 8 qualified chaperones to carry out the trip and the rest are students, the chaperones will be getting a few more students each than the student chaperones.

Tanjiro: During our visit, our plan is to divide the entire group into groups with one chaperone in each, and all of them head to one location and start from there as they go around Tokyo while experiencing the wonders of it. Every group would start from a different location and take turns going to another location as soon as they finish their current activity.

Tanjiro: Wooo! That means the author has to do research again!

Bruh...

Tanjiro: Now that's over, go ahead and move on to the next chapter...*Whispers*(If the author comes out with it that is...) Where we do a little check-in on all of the side characters to see how they are doing with life as well as a little peek into the Infinity Castle in the chapter, "Side Hustles".

Tanjiro: I know...it's a lame name, but don't blame me for it! Blame the author!

Shut up and finish the segment.

Tanjiro: Fine...bye! See you next time!