Chapter 54: Surprise and Orientation

Date: December 18, 2023
Time: 5:54 AM
Location: Kocho Household
Weather: Cold and Windy

.
.
.

"At least let me take our coats!" Aoi said while yelping at her sister who was already out the door, "Come quick Aoi! Or else we are going to miss the time!" Kanao replied back with a stressed face.

Aoi quickly followed Kanao out of the door with her school uniform on and their coats in her hands. 

"Why did you have to drag me into this?!" Aoi complained while throwing Kanao her violet-colored winter coat. "If we do this together, then it will be faster." Kanao answered as she scaled on a wall and Aoi soon followed her, "But for now, we need to worry about getting there on time!" Kanao yelped while running along the wall.

"I know a shortcut, follow me!" Aoi stated as she switched directions and started to head into a patch of highly vegetated area. "What about our uniforms?!" Kanao asked, "Don't get them dirty!" Aoi answered back as loud as he could before disappearing into the patch of trees, Kanao scoffed a bit at her answer, "That's helpful..." She sarcastically thought before quickly running after her.

She later caught up with her sister swinging through the branches from tree to tree. "Why did you agree to help Iguro-sensei with some of his boring work?!" Aoi asked while clinging onto a vine and swinging to a tree before landing on it, "How else could we repay him back after we accidentally caused his entire shelf to fall?" Kanao questioned while running on the ground, "Me?! That was you after you created that entire Rubes Goldberg effect with just a chair!" Aoi complained back, "Whatever girl! Just help me out with this one!" Kanao stated.

"Fine! But you owe me!" Aoi said back, "Ok..." Kanao immediately replied with a hint of regret.

After running through the forest they soon ended up in an urban area with cars and people filling up the roads and sidewalk. Kanao soon turned to Aoi and looked her dead in the eye with a sign of irritation, "You said this was a shortcut." She said with a very straight tone, Aoi nodded with no sign of fear in her. "Yeah, up here and just head straight," Aoi said while taking a stone from the ground and aiming upwards to hit a latch that was keeping a ladder to the roof of a building out of reach.

The rock hit its target and the ladder fell down with a loud sound, but it was deafened by the surrounding sound of the other commotion that was going on. "Oh." Kanao simply stated with a very flabbergasted look, "Come on." Aoi said while climbing up the ladder. 

Kanao quickly shook her head and followed up the ladder. 

When they got to the roof, they immediately began to break out in a sprint from roof to roof while performing difficult parkour moves such as vaults, backflips, and risky leaps from the large gap between buildings.

"How do you know this was a way?" Kanao asked, "Remember back then how I used to be late?" Aoi questioned, "Yeah..." Kanao replied. "Well...I've been doing some research about more efficient ways on how to get to school, and apparently, this is a good way." Aoi said.

"So you've been telling me that you were taking this way to school a few years ago? And you haven't received any complaints?" Kanao asked, "Well...there was this one time...but it wasn't important since I just ran from the police." Aoi replied with a cheeky smile. 

"Aoi!" Kanao stated with a shocked expression, "What? We're already wanted, might as well make the most of it while you're at it." Aoi replied, "First, you do realize that's going on your future resume, and second, how come you're not a regular demon slayer like me if you can do things like this?" Kanao said with an eyebrow raised.

"You are probably correct about the first one, might have to clear my name somehow before I get a job, and the other one...literally any demon slayer of any experience can do this." Aoi blatantly replied.

"I mean yeah, but..." Kanao said before spacing out a bit, "Yeah... never mind...I got nothing to say..." Kanao added before she Kong vaulted over an air conditioning unit.

While running, Kanao heard some distant male voices on a few buildings behind them. She slightly turned to face where the voices were coming from because in order for her to hear them over the commotion of the streets, they were awfully loud. 

As she turned her head to look at the buildings behind her, she saw nothing on the roofs. 

"What..." She thought to herself with a very confused expression, but as she was caught up in her thought, she fell through a gap between the buildings.

The speed at which her brain was realising that she was falling was outmatched by some red blur that managed to catch her in time, put her on top of another building, and managed to disappear in just a matter of milliseconds. 

After being scooped up before her brain even had time to process what was going on, Kanao was on a roof looking around with a very confused expression as to what had just happened. "Kanao! Get over here now!" Aoi yelled from a few buildings in front of her.

Kanao hesitantly started to run and do parkour again, but she could never get rid of the thought of what just stopped her from falling.

"Why did you stop?" Aoi asked Kanao who also stopped as she waited for her, "I fell through one of the gaps, but something stopped me from falling and put me back on the roof..." Kanao said with a still shocked expression. "Well come on, we can think about that later, the school is only a few minutes away from here," Aoi said as she backflipped over a metal pipe.

As the two arrived at the school just ten or so minutes later, they just over the walls of the school and into the main building.

They soon saw Iguro at the main door waiting for them. "There you two are, I was wondering where you were. You were supposed to come here at 6:10, it's 6:11 now." Iguro stated as he scoffed, "Sorry Iguro-sensei!" The girls said in unison before bowing in apology.

"Pft...whatever...at least you're here...now follow me," Iguro replied while leading the two inside the building.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Want some?" Aoi said as she offered some dango to her sister while sitting on a bench on the rooftop of the school with the Kamaboko squad, Tanjiro, and Tanjiro's friends.

The boys were doing what they usually were doing...

Causing chaos.

"Gimmie!" Inosuke said while trying to grab a slice of watermelon from Genya who was holding it up in the air and trying to keep it away from him as Zenitsu attempted to hold Inosuke back by grabbing him from the waist.

"F*ck off! Aniki gave this to me!" Genya exclaimed as he peered over to the side and saw Tanjiro, Andrew, and Edmund just watching them have their own battle. "A little help?!" Genya said to the three as they slowly ate their food. "Hmm..." Edmund said while looking up and down at the ordeal, "Naaa, you're fine. You're a giant just like me, just manhandle him and you'll be fine." Edmund simply replied with a devious smile.

"Hmm...good idea..." Genya stated after taking a few seconds to think about it.

He then held Inosuke by the waist, turned him around so that Inosuke's back was facing him, and performed a German suplex on the boar.

The rooftop went silent for a bit after Genya absolutely crushed Inosuke, the girls were in shock while the boys were having the time of their lives.

"Holy shit!" Edmund screamed out from breaking out into laughter, "I know I said 'Manhandle him' but I didn't mean it like that!" Edmund added while tears formed in his eyes from laughing too much.

"You almost broke his spine, man." Andrew said with a "shocked" expression, "I approve." He immediately said after that with a thumbs up.