Chapter 1

The night of December 16, 2006, my life was never the same. I, Detective Kim Taehyung was summoned to a location where a murder had occurred. This was my first murder case since transferring from another unit. Upon arriving at the scene all I could see was the shock and sadness in the eyes and faces of the other detectives. I could feel their emotions traveling up my spine. Knowing what was lying on the ground was once alive, and they never expected that their life was going to end today and in that way. I kneeled to uncover the body and I instantly jumped up and ran over to an empty area to puke my guts out. Breathing heavily, I did not except to see this.

There was no body only parts. But the most disturbing thing about it was that it was a child. The child could not have been no more than 6 years old. What kind of monster would do this to a child? The horror of seeing such a sight was engraved in my memory. A detective approached me and tapped my shoulder.

Namjoon: Hello, I'm Detective Kim Namjoon. You are the new guy?

Taehyung: Hi, (clears throat) I am Detective Kim Taehyung. Yes. Yes, I am new and got transferred today.

Namjoon: Welcome to the department but prepare yourself.

Taehyung: What do you mean?

Namjoon: What we have found outside was bad, but what we found on the inside of the warehouse is unimaginable.

I could not think of anything else that would be much worse than seeing the child. After composing myself, I walked in the warehouse with him, and I just wanted to scream. I have never seen anything like this. This was madness, pure madness, and sickness. The smell of rioting flesh and blood was unbearable. There were two more bodies in the warehouse: one male and one female. Just like the child outside, there were only body parts. Of the female, her head was half missing, half her breast, and she was cut in half. As I continued to look at the rest of her, her legs were smashed, and her intestines were outlining her body. My God, this poor woman.

The male victim's hands were missing, half his face was smashed in, knees were hacked, his manhood was missing, and there were several bruises outside his body. It looks like he was tortured to death. My God, what kind of sick person would do such a thing to a human being? Moments later the captain arrived. Captain Min Yoongi came to the scene and entered the warehouse. The captain was a tough respectable man, but even he did not have the stomach for happened to the child outside.

Min Yoongi: Ah! Detective Namjoon, I see you have met your new partner, Detective Taehyung.

Namjoon: Yes, sir.

Min Yoongi: What do we have here? What do we know so far?

Namjoon: So far all we know is that there is a total of three victims. One female and two males.

Taehyung: The child victim is missing most of their parts. It is going to take some time to make a positive ID on the victims. They may be related to each other.

Min Yoongi: The heinousness of this scene seems to be sending a message. A powerful sick message.

Namjoon: It seems that way, but who could the message be for?

Min Yoongi: The answer to that question is the one that we need to find.

Taehyung: Whoever did this to these people must not have a regard for human life.

Namjoon: What do you mean?

Taehyung: Compared to the two victims in the warehouse it seems that the child suffered the most. Think about it. Why was the child outside of the building while these two here are here inside?

Min Yoongi: That is a good point. (Detective Namjoon nodding in agreement) Are you suggesting that the child was the main target, and the other two victims were collateral?

Taehyung: It is hard to say. Nothing here screams out motive for doing such a thing.

Namjoon: You are right. So far, we don't have much to go on and nothing seems to point out to anything. This doesn't appear to be the original crime scene. There's not that much blood around the victims.

Min Yoongi: You're right there is not much blood here. This is a dump site, and we need to find the place where the victims were murdered. Okay, let's clear the scene and you two will go to the examiner's office first thing in the morning.

Namjoon and Taehyung: Yes, sir. (Bowing as Captain Min Yoongi leaves)

I have a feeling that this is only the beginning of a tremendous nightmare. Nothing makes any sense here. A child? Why would anyone do such a thing?