Chapter 71: Her Potential

"How's it going?" I asked, a small smile on my face as I peaked into the tent.

Horikita was sitting in a chair, adjusting her shoes, a small smile on her face.

"It's weird, we didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to on our end, and yet..."

"So he did talk to you then?"

She glanced over at me.

"...I'm surprised, you really pulled through."

"Aha, the two of us have a sort of understanding, after all."

"I see."

She sighed, leaning back into her chair.

"...It's strange, it feels like my whole world, just got flipped over. And yet, I've never felt happier."

I couldn't help a warm smile, I'd heard about this side of her from her older brother, but to see her like this is something else.

"That's good then. So, what'll you do?"

She looked up.

"I'm not leaving the school, if that's what you mean. I've worked too hard to get here already. However, I want to do things my own way from here on out."

She sighed.

"And although it pains me to say this, I'm going to have to ask something of you."

I rose a brow.

"And what would that be?"

She brought a hand up to her chest.

"Let me help you. You are, without a doubt, leagues above me. I know you said you wanted to protect the class no matter what, but I still want to get to A class. How can I help you make both of these things happen?"

Oh.

Oh!

Haha, Horikita, you're already doing great.

"Just keep being the class's leader, I believe the rest will... be sorted out eventually. But most importantly, look for the opportunity to grow."

This has never happened before.

What's the word for this?

A malfunction?

How scary.

I'm unable to see her potential.

That can only mean one thing.

It's incredibly important to let her grow in her own way, only then is someone's potential formed.

She's yet to discover who she is, and as such I am unable to figure out her potential.

That's absolutely crazy.

I quickly looked away, trying to hide my grin.

To be unable to discern the potential of another person means that said person is unable to decide who they are yet.

That is the conclusion I've come to.

I didn't even know such a thing was possible?

It is indeed as she said.

Her whole word has been flipped upside down, and now she's doing a complete re-evaluation of everything around her.

Even if she doesn't end up growing remarkably, the fact that she is able to achieve such a thing is astounding.

To put it in perspective, every single person I've met or seen since the cruise ship has had a straight flat potential that they are able to achieve.

This is easily a lower percentage than one in a thousand, so .1%