Chapter 8: Cafe Pallet

"Aaw, he ran away again."

These were the words I heard as I quickly bolted out of class.

Ever since the day we had the swimming lessons, I'd been approached by different girls and guys alike trying to befriend me, or ask for my number.

Sometimes, if they were quieter and weren't so pushy, it'd be easy to accept, but other times I find myself running away when a girl with boundless energy bounces up to me and energetically asks me for my number.

It's nerve-racking.

I hate myself for it, that whenever I'm put into a situation like that, I can still think logically, but I move before I can really think.

I sighed as I sat on the the steps of the staircase, massaging my temples.

"Tough being popular huh?"

I looked up.

Onodera Kayano.

I'd gotten to know Onodera a bit more after the swimming ordeal, since it was her technique I copied, and would dare say I considered her a friend.

"Y-yeah, a bit."

"Wanna eat lunch together here then?" She asked, showing off a boxed lunch she packed herself.

"S-sure."

She moved to sit beside me, and I scooched over a bit to make room for her.

With that, I slipped off my bag, and took out my own boxed lunch.

I'd noticed it before, but it actually costs less to make a boxed lunch than buy one at the cafe.

It was about 1:3.

Three boxed lunches handmade from groceries I picked out roughly equals one lunch in the cafeteria.

That brings me to the next thing I noticed.

Most of the students in the cafeteria are first years.

The reason for this was apparent to me, most of the second years and third years were trying to save their points, only spending them if they have extra to spend.

Most of the second and third years eating in the cafeteria are eating the free veggie meal.

As for the reason this is, I have no clue.

What's the point of saving the points? Sure we can buy all sorts of different things with them, but that's...

Wait.

I frowned.

What was it that Chabashira-sensei had said?

"Hey, you okay Shizukana?"

I was brought back by Onodera's words, and nodded, feeling a little embarrassed for spacing out on her.

"Yeah."

"So, you thinking of joining the swimming club? That time you pulled off would put our seniors to shame, there's probably only one or two in the club that could beat you." She asked.

Her explanation made sense, I probably could join the swimming club if I wanted to, but I'd already dedicated myself to the Archery club.

"N-no, I've already joined another c-club. Archery." I responded.

She smiled, used to my social awkwardness.

"Archery huh? I heard there's only one senpai over there from the second and third years in my club, how's that going?" She asked.

"Well, it's j-just me and her, so a-all the lessons are one-o-on-one."

She choked, bitterly swallowing down the bite in her mouth before quickly grabbing her water bottle, chugging some of it to force the food down her throat.