Chapter 14: Welcome to a Merit-Based World

The morning bell for the first day of May sounded off, with our sensei, Chabashira, walking in almost exactly at the point of the chime.

"Alright. Morning home room is starting. Are there any questions before we start? If there's something on your mind, speak up."

I clenched my fists.

That confirms it.

The class has been played for fools.

She talked as though completely convinced that we had something to ask her.

Several hands were raised immediately.

"Um, I checked my point balance this morning, and only around 4,000 were deposited. Weren't they supposed to be provided on the first day of the month, every month?"

"Hondou, I explained it before didn't I? Points are wired to student's accounts on the first day of every month. They were wired without any problems this month as well."

"Uh, but, I barely got any points."

Hondou and Yamauchi exchanged looks. Ike was too surprised to notice their looks.

Some small part of me had hoped the rest of the points would be deposited later, but I already had concrete evidence.

41 is our starting point, and it's been set in stone now.

"...Are you guys really that stupid?"

She had an ominous feeling about her as Chabashira-sensei spoke those words.

"Stupid, what?"

Her eyes held a sharp glint as Hondou repeated her words like an idiot.

"Sit, Hondou. I'll explain it again."

"H-huh?"

Surprised at the tone she used, he slumped down into his seat.

"Points were deposited without fail. The likelihood this class was left out is incredibly low. Do you understand?"

"No, even if I say I understand, we haven't received our points..."

Hondou tried to retort, clearly looking dissatisfied.

"This is all we get. 4,100. These are the repercussions for the choices we have made."

Koenji, who had heard me, laughed.

"Clever clever my adoring fan! I see! I can understand the riddle now!" He shouted.

Putting his feet up on the table, he then pointed out to Hondou with his self-important attitude.

"We didn't receive many points because we are in class D."

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean. They said we'd get 100,000 every month-"

"I don't remember hearing that, right?"

Smirking, Koenji changed the target of his pointed finger to our teacher.

"Right?" He asked again.

"Your attitude has some problems, but what Koenji is saying is right on track. Not many people seemed to have noticed my hint, how sad."

The classroom erupted in uproar and confusion.

"Sensei, can I ask a question? I still don't understand." Hirata said, putting his hand up.

Based on his expression, this question he's going to ask is to benefit the class, rather than himself.

How selfless.