Chapter 38: Annual Orchid Day

"We are being spied on."

"Don't worry, I can tell."

Sitting in the large library with Sakayanagi, there was a more open section for people who wanted to gather to do various things.

Currently, the two of us were enjoying a nice game of chess.

It was purely for fun, just something to do while we talked and enjoyed each other's company.

We must've played at least ten matches by now, but neither of us were keeping track.

"It seems you have a stalker, Shizukana-kun."

She let out a quiet laugh after that, moving her next piece.

I sighed.

"I have a feeling I know who it is too, speaking of, I should probably tell you about my situation as well."

She smiled.

"Could it perhaps have to do with the crush you have on me?"

I felt my cheeks redden, and looked away.

I feel embarrassed she saw through me so easily.

"It does make sense does it not? Even if this is a new you, things like first impressions of me would be the same. If anything, you're alike to how you were the first time I'd met you. Quiet, reserved, but curious."

She leaned forward over the table, handing me something.

It was a small box.

"A gift?"

"Fufu, what do you think?"

She had on her usual smile, and leaned back again.

"I ask that you do not open that until after regaining your memories, I'd like it to be the first thing you do."

"Of course."

I moved my bishop, checkmating her, and she giggled.

"It seems I've lost yet again~."

"Oh please, we both know this is just us having fun."

"Speaking of~. Want to go have fun somewhere else?"

"Hm?"

"I've had a thought. If we go around, and act like a couple, don't you think the stalker would feel dejected and want to leave? After all, it's obvious that she's only watching us for you."

I brought a hand up to scratch the back of my head.

"Um, that's actually kind of a thing I want t-to talk to you about as well."

"Oh?"

"There's... kind of another girl."

For just a moment, her smile slipped, before she regained it.

"Tell me more." She spoke sweetly.

"You see... we got closer together after I found out about s-something she was having troubles with, it had to do with another g-guy. She started relying on me to support her, and I began to really enjoy the time I s-spent with her. I have no doubt I hold feelings of affection for her as well."

"Heh, I see."

She brought a hand up, moving a stray of hair behind her ear.

"I... I want to get to know you both b-better, because I want to be in a relationship I can see carrying on towards the end of my life. The problem is t-that I can see that with either of you."

"Hmm, so it's a race for your heart then."

"...You can say that."

Her smile grew, and she held her hand out next to her, gently.