Chapter 3: Independence Day

The next morning, Starfire called Nightwing to let him know she found Peter at the Tower. She knew well enough that Peter needed to speak to Raven himself. However, Dick Grayson was one person she knew needed to know immediately. Just as she expected, her boyfriend was elated to hear that Peter was back.

"This is amazing!" Dick replied from the other side of the screen. "This is the best news I've gotten all day." He said, then looked atnher curiously. "How... how is he?"

Starfire looked off at that, wondering the same thing herself. "It's... strange." She chuckled softly. "I kept expecting him to be a mess, but... he's just... not."

Dick raised a brow at that. "What do you mean?"

"I mean he doesn't seem stressed out about ANY of this." She replied. "Either he's grown quite talented in the art of acting, or..."

"Or Peter's a changed man." Dick noted to himself in thought. "Interesting... Does Raven know?"

Starfire shook her head with a bittersweet smile. "I really want to... but I think we should leave that between them."

Dick nodded at that. "Yeah... you're probably right."

"You should come see him." Starfire encouraged, tucking her hair behind her ear with a flirtatious smile. "And me too, of course."

"I was actually gonna see you first." Dick winked back, causing them both to laugh. After they stopped, he shook his head. "I'm gonna come as soon as I can, but..."

"Things still bad over there?" She guessed.

Dick let out an exasperated sigh. "You could say that again." He replied with a soft chuckle. "Just tell Peter I said hi, and I'll come as soon as I have some spare time."

"I understand." Starfire nodded with an affectionate smile. "Be careful out there."

"You too." Dick winked. "Love you."

"Love you too." She replied, before ending the call.

The Tameranian girl stretched out as she ended the call and flew out of her room. Then traveled down the hall to Peter's room, expecting him to still be sleeping. However, when she opened the door, he was gone, which worried her a bit at first. She quickly flew further down the winding corridors, until she reached the lab, where she found Peter sitting at a table with Cyborg, Batman, Green Arrow, and Martian Manhunter.

Peter wore a fresh set of clothes; getting to take off the Spider-Man suit felt like a breath of fresh air across his body, and the shower only enhanced it. He was coming to sincerely enjoy these simple pleasures that he once took for granted.

"An arcade... you're sure that's what you saw?" Batman asked.

"That is what I witnessed." The Martian nodded. "Though these memories this time do seem a bit... muddled."

"Muddled how?" Batman asked

"Like there are pieces missing." Then Martian noted with a curious look. "Normally, my powers can see through most illusions." Then he looked at Peter curiously through narrow eyes for a moment.

"What do you think it means?" Batman asked.

The Martian looked off in thought. "I'm... not sure what to make of it." He replied. "Though logic would suggest otherwise, it would seem that our young friend here is telling the truth."

"His psyche is fine?" The bat replied in disbelief.

"Though he may have left out a lot of details." J'onn explained. "He wasn't lying when he said he was okay."