5

I have a lunch table. She asked me to sit with her during Algebra. Of course, I said yes. I might have real friends this year.
"I can't believe we are both turning 18 next week," Ella says. I can't believe it's already October. October 7th is my birthday and Ellas'. This is my first birthday without my Mom. My brother goes to Richmond Elementary because he's only 8, I hope he does not have as much memory of everything when he's older.
I'm knocked out of my thoughts when I run into someone. I fall, stumble back, but catch myself.
"Watch where you're going." says a very tall guy with brown hair and eyes. He's got to be at least 6'3".
"I-i-im sorry."
"Yeah, whatever." He says in a stern but disgusted voice. He seems like a dick but he is handsome. The type of handsome that seems impossible.
"Don't be such a dick, Jed!" Ella screams. I'm amazed at how comfortable she seems to be here.
"No, it's ok." I hate confrontation. I was bullied in my last school, I got my head shoved in toilets, pushed against walls, strangled, and none of my "friends" ever helped me. I want to prevent that from happening ever again.
"Yeah Ella, it's ok." I turn to stare at him and notice he's already looking at me. I give him a disgusted look.
"Let's go," Ella says while staring Jed down. As were walking she started talking "I'm sorry about him, he's not the nicest person, but he's not necessarily rude. He's the guy every girl wants to date but he's not serious with any it them. Never been in a real relationship."
"I'm not surprised with the way he just acted." I surprised myself by saying that.
"Do you want to hang out tonight? We can go to a party." did I just get invited to a party? On my second day of school that's got to be a record.
"Let me ask my Aunt." I realize what I just said wishing I could say Mom. I can't lie to Ella about my family.
"Why you're aunt?" Ella says confused.
"Both my parents passed away so I live with her." wondering if I should say more or not.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Is it ok if I ask about it?" I haven't talked to anyone about it and have been dying to, but I don't want pity. I want to forget about it.
"Of course you can, I don't mind." and it hits me. Where are my Converse? I push the thoughts away and listen to her ask questions until she knows everything about my past.