30

I finally going to see my friends, after two and a half months.
"I did not name you Dahlia, but it is a good thing they changed it," My mom says.
"What is my name?"
"Lilly, I always loved that name. Too bad you couldn't keep it." I've always wanted a different name but now that I hear it, I don't want it. Dahlia is who I am. Dahlia Bryers.
"What's your name?" I ask while playing with my fingers.
"Maria," she looks at her ring. "Kalum, Maria Kalum."
"So my old name was Lilly Kalum. What's my middle name?" I feel silly asking but I've never had one.
"Rose, I know it's basic but it has meaning. It was your grandma's name." Her face drops and she looks sad.
My brother is sleeping in the backseat, he deserves to sleep, he also needs medical help, he's starved, dehydrated, and has so many cuts and bruises from my mishaps. It's all my fault.
"It's not your fault. All of this, you were born this way. No one knows how people began to have abilities. It's not your fault you're a badass and everyone wants you as a weapon."
I laugh and wonder how old she is. "How old are you?"
"35, I was 17 when I had you. That's the only reason they had to make me give you up. Your father and I wanted to keep you, but our parents wouldn't let us. I knew I was a danger to you, people hunted me a lot. I knew I could protect you but it was safer with someone else, so I agreed as long as they let me give you to Lindsey. The women who raised you. She became so cold once Howie died. I miss them both so much." I hear her sniffling but she continues, "I sent money once a month and got updates on you every week. When she died I no longer got updates. I was scared, but I tracked you, you were happy and I didn't want to bother but then I heard you found out about your powers and then got kidnapped. So I tracked you. I never would have given you to her if I knew she would hurt you the way she did." I don't like to think about the things my mom would say and do to me.
"It's okay, you did what you thought was best," I look in my mirror and see a car trailing us pretty fast. "That car let them pass," she looks and pulls over to the side but the car veers towards us and rams into us.
We roll off the cliff on our right until we slam into a tree that's keeps us form going in the water. We are upside down. I hear my brother screaming and crying while Maria is passed out with blood everywhere coming from me, my brother, and Maria. "Get your brother and run, heres the map," she whispers.
"What, no. I can't leave you here." I take the map and put it in my pocket.
"Yes you can, I'm going to die at the hand of someone, wether or not I want to accept that is up to me. Now go." I know she can handle herself. I unbuckle my seatbelt and fall on the ceiling, I wince in pain. There's shards of glass stuck everywhere in me. Whoever did this is probably almost here.
"I need you to be quiet Paul, the bad guys are going to get us if you don't stop crying." he makes his crys quieter and I pull him from his seat and climb out the side window.
I run, no matter how much is hurts or how tired I am.
...
I follow the map, I see the place in the distance, I'm still running. I've been running for at least 20 minutes at full speed. I wish I had super speed right now.
I'm not going to cry in front of anyone when I get in here, I'm not ready to talk about what happened and I don't need someone asking me.