15

It's my birthday today, the first one without my Mom, at least life is better now, I'm in a new school, I have friends, I'm not being bullied.
Those messages I'm getting are so weird. Who would do that? I push the thoughts aside when I see Ella waiting for me outside my house. "I never thought about this, but how come you don't drive to school."
"So that's the first thing you say, not Happy Birthday." She rolls her eyes. My car was being fixed the day I met you here, and since I like riding with you I just rode the bus."
"Why dont we just take your car to school?"
"You're so right. Happy Birthday." She dangles the keys in front of me. "Happy Birthday, let's go."
...
I can't help but think about why people assume it's a happy birthday, what if it's not happy. What if I'm not happy. I don't want to trouble people with my past. I don't regret telling Ella, I trust her enough.
...
I'm freaking crying, on my birthday. In the middle of class. I keep my head down so no one sees. No one can see. I'm sick of keeping it in. Telling Ella helped a lot, I didn't tell her everything. I didn't tell her stuff I don't even like admitting to myself. Keeping my entire past from everyone is tiring. My mom always blamed me for my father's death, especially when she would drink. She beat me sober and drunk. I understand, but I would never do it.
...
"We have to have a party tonight," I'm guessing she's not talking about the kind with cake and candles.
"I mean, we could have it at my house, my aunts out, on a business trip." Aunt Sadie works for a huge company and has to travel all the time. My house is big compared to others but nothing compared to Ethan's house.
"That would be great, your house is bigger than mine. My parents are out too so we don't have to worry." I'm excited to have a party at my house.
"We need alcohol, I'll buy it since your hosting." She winks at me and gets out a fake id. She hands me one with my picture and a fake name, Anna Dugray. It's a pretty name.
"You came prepared, I always wanted one of these. Although now that it's in my hands, it's not as adrenaline filled as I thought." She smirks and she leaves to go pick up the alcohol
As I'm checking to make sure every room upstairs except for the bathrooms. I'd rather they throw up in there, or have sex.
I hear a click of the front door. "Ella." I call out her name but there's no response. "Ella, come on answer me." I realize this might be someone trying to hurt me. I turn to unlock my bathroom door when someone puts a hand over my mouth.
"Im not going to hurt you" It's a man's voice. "Now you're going to listen to me." I nod and the man turns me around, who I now know has dirty blonde hair and blue eyes and continues, "Your going to work for me, I was your mothers boss. Well, your biological mom." What is this crazy person talking about?
"What do you mean biological mom, I only have one." Im having a panic attack.
"There's lots to catch you up on but right now we don't have time, you need to train." Train for what?
"Ok, ok jeez. What is this job?" I say while hyperventilating trying to keep my breath in check.
"I am the leader of a government resistance group, and I need you to join." I feel like I'm going to be sick.
"You want me in a government resistance group. Also what are you resisting?" He looks disappointed I'm not sure why.
"Your mom was a very powerful resistance member. We will go more in depth later, you friend just pulled in. I'll let you have your stupid party, training starts tomorrow. We will meet in the location and time I text you on this burner phone." I look down to pinch myself to make sure I'm not in some nightmare. When I look up the man is gone. I'm guessing no one can know about this.