31

^^Carla

Amelia's POV 

Jade had left early this morning to fly to America. Hopefully, she's able to make her way out of the country. Matt and Zayn were working to figure out Geneve's next move. Zena was outside animatedly speaking to Hailey. The pair sat on the grass and Zena looked beyond frustrated. Yeira was with them and her legs were kicked onto Zena's lap. Yeira would make a comment every so often.

My burner phone buzz, so I glanced down. I gulped since Carla wanted to meet with me. I clicked my tongue and went outside.

"Girls!" They faced me. "There are art supplies here. Can maybe paint or something." They nodded and stood.

Yeira raced inside while Zena straggled with Hailey. When they passed me, I grabbed Hailey's arm. They turned to look at me, but I told Zena that Hailey would only be a moment. That seemed to appease her as I took Hailey deeper into the forest.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you don't want anyone to know you killed me." She joked once we got to a stream.

"You're right about the people hearing you part." I stuffed my hands in my pockets. "I need to tell you something."

"What's worse than everything going on?" She laughed.

"We need help with this. This is far more complicated than anything we've ever felt with."

"Understatement of the century." She smirked. "But, go ahead."

"And that requires unprecedented help."

"I don't know if I like where this is going." She raised a brow.

"I was contacted by someone from my past." I paused. "An offer to help."

"Amelia-"

"Carla." Hailey stiffened at the name. "She found us here and came to offer her services."

"Tell me you declined." Her eyes darkened.

"That's what I mean about unprecedented help. She knows what Geneve's next moves are. We need her."

"Tell me you declined!" Hailey marched to me.

"Hail-"

"She killed someone who's like a daughter to me!"

"And that daughter is back... kinda." I rubbed my eyes. "I wanted to reject her so bad, but I'll do anything to get Lara back."

"Do the girls know?" I shook my head. "Fuck, Mia!" She exclaimed. "That's gonna crush them!"

"I know." I breathed out. "I need to tell them, but don't know how."

"Start by saying you teamed up with their maman's murderer." Hailey sassed.

"Hails." I narrowed my eyes.

"Fine, I just don't know how to navigate this." Hailey groaned. "Do you trust her?"

"Not at all."

"Then, why are you entertaining this?!"

"Because she has something to gain as well. The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

"Not if you're all enemies!"

"Well, some of us are more enemies than others." I rushed out.

"How do you know she's not playing you? That this isn't a tactic from Geneve?"

"I know Carla and she wouldn't stoop to deception... that's something I'd do." I averted my eyes. "Carla more enjoys the thrill of the hunt. She wants you to know she's the predator and you the prey."