51

^^Hailey

Third Person POV 

Hailey had sent Yeira back to the compound, so she could have some alone time with Lara. Yeira was hesitant, but Hailey snapped at the girl to leave. Yeira grumbled about Hailey being a mistress before leaving.

"Lara," Hailey called softly, stepping closer. "Are you okay?"

Lara turned to face her, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I don't know," she admitted, her voice trembling. "I feel like I'm losing my mind. Everything is so jumbled, and I can't tell what's real anymore."

Hailey reached out, gently taking Lara's hand. "It's okay," she said soothingly. "We'll figure it out together."

Lara's gaze softened as she looked at Hailey, her expression shifting from confusion to something more tender. "Hailey," she murmured, her voice filled with raw emotion. "I've been thinking about you a lot. I keep remembering all these moments we've shared, all the times you've been there for me."

Hailey's heart skipped a beat, a pang of unease settling in her chest. "Lara, I—"

Lara cut her off, stepping closer and placing a hand on Hailey's cheek. "You've always been so good to me," she continued, her voice growing more fervent. "I don't know what I'd do without you. I... I think I love you."

Hailey's eyes widened, her breath catching in her throat. "Lara, you're confused," she said gently, trying to keep her voice steady. "I'm not Amelia."

But Lara seemed not to hear her, or perhaps she chose not to. She leaned in, her lips hovering inches from Hailey's. "You mean everything to me," she whispered, her breath warm against Hailey's skin. "I need you."

Panic flared in Hailey's chest, and she gently but firmly placed her hands on Lara's shoulders, holding her at arm's length. "Lara, stop," she said, her voice more insistent. "I'm not Amelia."

Lara blinked, the reality of Hailey's words slowly sinking in. She took a step back, her expression crumpling with heartbreak and confusion. "I... I'm so sorry," she stammered, tears spilling over her cheeks. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I keep mixing everything up. I thought... I thought you were..."

Hailey's heart ached for her, and she pulled Lara into a tight embrace. "It's okay," she whispered, stroking Lara's hair. "You're going through a lot right now. Your mind is trying to make sense of everything. It's not your fault."

Lara clung to Hailey, her sobs wracking her body. "I don't know who I am anymore," she cried. "I don't know what to do."

Hailey held her tighter, her own eyes filling with tears. "You're not alone, Lara," she said softly. "We'll get through this together. I promise."

"Why do I want you, Hailey?" Lara whispered. "I want your body. Why?"

"You love me and confuse the types of love." Hailey felt her heart break at seeing Lara so vulnerable and desperate. "I provide platonic love not romantic. The romantic is with Amelia."

"I... she's... she occupies my mind." Lara held her head. "More than you."

"I know."

"Why is she more important than you?!"

"Because you love her." Hailey smiled and hugged Lara. "You love her so much."

"But-"

"No buts."

Hailey spoke to Lara a little longer before they went back to the compound. Zena had called for Hailey, so the older vampire gave Lara a soft smile before saying she'd be right back. Lara wandered around the villa. She detested the amount of wolves in the vicinity. The place stunk of wet dog and she wanted to hurl. The security would observe her and cautiously step back since they deemed her unpredictable. Lara didn't care and passed them.