40

^^Hailey

Amelia's POV 

A can of beer was in my hand as I assessed the different files before me. I sorted them to the best of my ability. Hailey had done a fantastic job of acquiring ancient texts detailing resurrection and the fractured mind. The more I read, the sadder I became. Poor Lara is enduring this all on her own.

"Thought you weren't supposed to drink on the job." I closed my eyes to force myself not to snap.

"Exceptions can be made." I retorted and kept reading the paper.

"I assume you've made no progress." I kept quiet as Carla sauntered next to me. "Allow me to assist." She snatched the paper from my hand and grinned.

"No, thank you." I gave her a fake smile and snatched it back.

I walked across the room while reviewing my notes. There must be something here that-

"So what's your massive plan?" I turned to see Carla leaning against the desk. "You've got your half brained wife back, so now what? Kill Geneve? Stop her insane army? Surely, you must have a plan."

"What do you want me to say, Carla?" I angrily approached her. "That I have this all figured out?! No, no I don't! I'm figuring this out one day at a time! It's not like you have all the answers."

"You're right. I don't." She grinned. "But, I do know you're wasting time."

"How so?"

"By thinking you can alter Lara's brain chemistry and bring back the once so loving wife and mother." She mocked me. "Wake up." She snapped. "Lara isn't coming back, so you can either accept this new version of her or..."

"Or what?" I sneered.

"Put her down." She smirked while my eyes flashed. "She's dead weight."

"Like you will be soon." I flicked my wrist to elongate my nails.

"Don't direct your anger towards me. I'm not the one launching a war on your species."

"You're the one who put me in this mess."

"No." She shook her head. "You did. Don't deflect, mi rosa."

"Stop calling me that!"

"Why?" She titled her head. "Sensitive subject?"

"I'm not your rosa!"

I was fed up with her and threw the papers down. I tangled my hands in my hair out of frustration. I took several deep breaths to calm myself. I slowly removed my hands and picked up the fallen papers. I then saw Carla's feet in my eyeline. She knelt down and assisted me. When I looked up, her face was close to mine. I gulped at our close proximity.

"Just remember that we're on the same side." She whispered. "At this moment, I'm more reliable than Lara and you know that."

"That's not your place to say." I whispered back.

"But it is." She moved closer, so I stayed perfectly still. "You are too important to let die." Carla ran her fingers along my arm.

"What's that supposed to mean?" My voice shook.

"We can't let the werewolf Queen fall." She husked into my ear. "You still have a role to play." Her breath fanned my neck.

My senses were in overdrive, so I quickly stood up. Carla watched as I clumsily walked into a drawer. I'm sure I was blushing like mad and completely out of it. Carla slowly stood and kept her stoic mask on. I quickly ran to the window to provide some kind of air since it was really hot in here.