✧ 17: Giving In

December 23rd

  The cabin wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be at two in the morning. The TV was left on in the living room, someone having fallen asleep on the couch. Music was playing from a bedroom, snoring coming from that same room. I could recognize that snore anywhere. Poor Bailey, I thought. There was also the low hum of the cabin being warmed up. It was loud enough that I didn't feel like I needed to tip-toe down the hallway to the kitchen. As I made my way down the hall, I was surprised that the floorboards were not cold beneath my bare feet.

As I entered the main area of the cabin, I looked around. The living room. the dining area and the kitchen were all one big space. The high ceilings made for a pleasant echo when we were all out here, and the high windows offered the perfect view. We were surrounded by trees and mountains and wildlife that stayed at a distance.

The cabin wasn't small, but it felt homey and had personal touches that someone added. For one, there had been a Christmas tree set up when we arrived. It was decorated and lit up all around. The tree topper was a bright star that reflected light off of its panels. Next to the tree was a fireplace made of thick stone with a large wooden mantle. Stockings that my mother bought and was waiting to fill would be hung there or hung around it. There was already a large amount of gifts under the tree, but the rest wouldn't go under until tomorrow. And I couldn't wait.

I shivered when I entered the kitchen. Though the floorboards weren't cold, the ordinary white kitchen tiles were. I was wearing a pair of black shorts with a loose white T-shirt, so it didn't really help that I had some exposed skin. I hopped from tile to tile, making my way to the fridge. I was glad the light was dimmed enough so that I could see. Jars and bottles rattled as I swung the fridge door open. The clinking had me peeking around the corner to check if I woke up whoever was asleep on the sofa. Whoever it was moaned and turned over. I sighed, turning back to the fridge. I saw the bottle of pop David had brought that I had eyed earlier. I wondered if he would know it was me who stole a few swigs from it. It was already opened. Maybe he wouldn't even know.

I shrugged, reaching for the bottle. It was a Mexican drink that I had never had before. I twisted off the cap and took a sip. I hummed in delight, taking another sip. The drink was good. Maybe I would steal another sip in the morning. I put the cap back on the bottle and put it back where it was. I tried to remember how it was facing but decided he wouldn't have remembered either. I quietly closed the fridge, shushing myself when a jar of pickles clinked against a jar of jam. When the door was closed, I turned with a sigh. Stupid jars-

I gasped, my heart falling to the floor. David was leaning against the counter with his arms crossed. He was in pajama pants and a grey T-shirt. He had definitely just crawled out of bed because his hair was messy with sleep. He seemed wide awake though. Especially when he was smiling at me like I was a child he just caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I put my hands on my hips, glaring at him in disapproval.

"Don't sneak up on people," I hissed at him, keeping my voice a whisper. David looked me over, his eyes lingering a bit longer on my legs. I was suddenly self-conscious about my feet. It was a weird thing to be insecure about right now.

"I saw what you did," he whispered back. I put a hand to my chest as I sauntered toward him, making my way out of the kitchen.

"I was just grabbing a glass of water. My poor little throat was parched." I tapped my fingers along my throat as I started to pass him.

"You drank my soda," he accused. He was trying not to smile, but his lips were twitching at the corners. I gasped again, acting as if I was truly offended by his accusation. I stopped in my tracks, looking over my shoulder at him.