TASK FIVE: Male Entries

District 1 Male - CASIMIR LYONS

By the number of days suffered in the arena, the forest has somehow made itself into a makeshift home. Although as I look around, I see the flowers that appeared only days ago weltered and decayed against the ground. Staring towards the foliage dome, I start in awe as the water prevails to batter through. The sound of the droplets pelleting off the dome drowns through the small clearing, making it near impossible to sleep.

By now most of the Careers have drifted off into sleep but as I look towards the fire pit glowing in the center, I see Castiel still up. He looks peaceful staring towards the sky and in the moment I see him verging into a day dream his hands slip into a mud patch that surrounds the base of tree.

His eyes flicker around looking for something to wipe it on and if on cue Valeria's sleeping bag tumbles delicately pass the receding tree line. He smirks to himself, clearly unaware of my presence, as he wipes his hand firmly on the bag. I try hard not to burst into laughter but as I watch him calculating his next move I can't shake the looming thought.

How do I kill something so innocent, so childlike?

However as the memories of the past flow through my head, it makes it near impossible to think of the unthinkable. I try and imagine the sword going through his torso but as the tears leak from my eyes it's clear that he isn't just a brother. He's a part of me.

I start to daydream like usual but this time I'm drawn back in by Castiel sudden movement across the clearing. Realising what he has done, he walk quickly towards the others who are cuddled up against the main oak tree lying perfectly in the center. I move ever so slightly to peer through the small pocket in the roof, to watch the starry sky morph into a radiant sunrise.

By now, with the aid of Huxley's watch, I can tell when the sun will rise but as the time tickers on, the night doesn't change. Something is wrong. Something is coming. I begin to panic, the nervous sweats pouring from each limb of my body, as I try and swerve through the tree line towards to the group.

I move only a matter of inches when a hallowing shadow flickers across my vision, almost merging with the shadows that reach of the light radiated from the fire. I try and shrug the uneasy feeling that spreads through the air but as I take another step, a voice whispers in my ear. Although the noise isn't loud, I still find the words latching onto my thoughts, making it harder to forget. Turning my head, I see the shadow lurking only inches away.

The glowing fire in the background faintly lights the area and, with a closer inspection, the shadows blurry physique morphs into arms, legs and blank face. I stare in awe as the shadow's body morphs in the light and before I can speak, it glides over to the deep forest, leaving only its sickly scent behind. I question whether or not to follow but as the figure start to submerge itself into the shadows, my body urges me to follow. The small yet growing curiosity takes over my thought and before I could refuse, my body is drawn towards the forest.

The further I venture out, the crackling fire at the hearth of our camp becomes distance. I try desperately to remember the path home but as I pass the array of the same trees I find it hard to mark out a path. As I approach the next set of trees, I lose any faith in returning to camp tonight. Looking eerily around the small thicket of woods I begin to panic that the worst had happened.

That I was alone.

My eyes eventually stop darting around the viscidity and fixate of the sky above. From camp, only snippets of the sky can be seen through the dome of nature, yet as I stare towards the sky the whole thing comes into view. The mountains lay in the distance and as the moonlight stretches across the arena floor, they find themselves glistening in the light.