[44] 𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗽𝘀

[44]

𝗟𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩

Me, Astley, and Samantha stood together, our gaze fixed on the diligent soldiers going through rigorous training. We scrutinized the soldiers' every move, assessing their progress and dedication. The air was filled with the sound of gunfire as the soldiers practiced shooting, striving to perfect their skills and earn the coveted title of Associate.

"Where's Capo by the way? Shouldn't he be here examining the soldiers instead na tayo?" Astley inquired, her brow furrowed. Samantha simply shrugged, her attention unwaveringly fixed on the training grounds.

"I don't know. Importanteng lakad daw eh, di ko alam kung saan." Samantha replied, causing Astley to nod thoughtfully.

Despite appearing to watch the soldiers intently, I was lost deep in contemplation. My mind wandered back to the recent collision that occurred during Travis's birthday celebration. The incident had left me unsettled, raising questions about the true intentions of our enemies, the Thatchers, and the manipulative strategies at play.

"Larcade?" suddenly, Astley's voice broke through my reverie, drawing me back to the present. Startled, I refocused as Astley poked my cheek.

"What is it?" tss. My thoughts still lingering on the unsettling events of the past.

"Nakikinig ka ba? You seemed lost in your thoughts. Are you staying here tonight?" she questioned.

"Yes, I'll stay. How about a dinner date tonight?" I suggested, a faint smile playing on my lips as I turn directed my gaze to Astley. Samantha, meanwhile, remained focused on the soldiers, unaffected by our banter.

"Yeah, sure." Astley replied with a smirk, her playful banter causing Samantha to shoot her a mock glare.

"I would like to invite you, Sam but..." Astley trailed off teasingly, prompting Samantha to shoot her a deathly look.

"Never mind." she really loves teasing Samantha.

After the training, we bid a temporary farewell to Samantha, setting off for our long-awaited dinner date at precisely 7 pm. Impatiently waiting for Astley, I finally saw her arrive, and we quickly hopped into the car with me at the wheel.

I wasted no time in taking the driver's seat, my fingers gripping the wheel. The engine hummed to life as we merged into the flow of traffic, the city lights painting fleeting shadows across our faces. Our conversation ebbed and flowed, circling around the imminent decision of mine, when I had to make a choice that test the boundaries of our relationship and my responsibilities as a soldier. Since when is the last time I took her out to date?

"I still can't shake off the feeling of leaving you behind," I confessed, my eyes briefly meeting Astley's in the rearview mirror. "I promise to make it up to you, once this is all over."

Astley's gaze softened, a tender smile curving her lips.

"Tapos na yun, wag kana mag sorry. You're here now, and that's all that matters." her support wrapped around me like a soothing balm, offering solace in the face of uncertainty.