Chapter Sixty-Five

3.14am. I look beside me at the red lights that outline the time on my alarm clock. My room is completely black, and quiet, too quiet. Eerily quiet.
I found myself in a puddle of hot sweats. My hair so damp that it had left the slightest of marks on my pillow case. My hands were still clutching tightly onto my bed sheets and my breathing was erratic. I started carefully going over the dream I had just had as I was sleeping. The nightmare. Or more so, the dreaded sense of doubt that I closed up in my mind.

The wipers flicked back and forth rapidly as I drove along the road at 80mph, the rain bouncing off of my car. I held the wheel tightly with both hands, my eyes narrowed as I stared out at the road intensely. I bit harshly down onto my bottom lip, to a point where I could feel the pain begin to writhe through my body, my saliva now making my bleeding lip sting like crazy.
I took a hand off of the steering wheel to push on the radio. The terrible weather made it static and not exactly audible, but as I went to switch it back off, I could just about make out the hosts voice as he spoke the words, "some terrible news today travelling across the word, as singer Katy Perry passed away this morning in her Los Angeles home after a long running battle with Cancer. She leaves behind a partner and of course, two children. A representative for the family has asked that their privacy is respected as they grieve the loss of a friend, partner, and devoted mother."
I smack my hand on the radio so hard that it switches stations and my knuckles already turn an awful purple, not even needing any time for the bruise to appear. The sound of the first beats to With Or Without You started playing through the radio, as though I was being tortured as I drove along the highway into a land of darkness, rain ferociously pounding onto my car. 
I returned both hands to the steering wheel, gripping the leather so tightly, gritting my teeth to a point I could feel the pressure travelling through my jaw and up into my head. I tried to make some sort of sense to myself in my head, but I couldn't. Everything was wrong. Everything I needed was gone and I was powerless. Nothing I could do would bring back the person I needed in my life. The person who brought me into this world and loved me for all I am had left me to survive the rest of this cruel world on my own.