Chapter Twenty-One

"I saw on TV what had happened," he says softly, his eyes gentle and full of worry. I can't help but immediately fall straight into them. "I needed to come and make sure you were okay. I've been going out of my mind."

My mom looks at me, chewing on the corner of her lips. My eyes just flicker between them both, unsure of what to do or say. This was not the face I was expecting to see today, or to even see at all for that matter. And I could tell by the look on my mom's face, that he wasn't the person she was expecting to see either.

"Say something," Ste laughs.

He slowly approaches my bed and sits down in the free chair beside me. I notice how my mom is just staring at him, as if she's ready to pounce at any moment, so I squeeze her hand to calm her down.

"I don't know what to say," I reply honestly.

Ste smiles, knowing that I'm a bit shocked to see him. Well, actually I'm very shocked to see him.

"I didn't expect you to come here," I say, looking into his soft eyes and suddenly feeling like he had never been away. I don't know if it was just how vulnerable I was feeling at the the minute, but I wanted him to hold my hand. I wanted him to sit beside the bed that I'm in and never leave my side.

As if reading my mind, that is exactly what happens. His hand holds tightly onto mine, and just like old times, I'm trapped inside his web. I wrap my fingers around his as if it's just natural, but something inside me then tells me it's wrong. I don't know if it's my heart speaking to me, or my head.

I pull my eyes away from our hands to look at my mom. She gives me a look. A look which I have seen before. A look of warning. She knows my vulnerability.

"I know I'm probably the last person you'd want to see but-"

My mom coughs, "Yeah probably."

My head slowly turns to face her, my eyes bulging, "mom," I warn through gritted teeth.

"What?" She shrugs, putting her hands up in front of her as she looks at me confused. "I'm only looking out for you, Sammie. And besides, you woke up from a coma only eight hours ago, you don't need your head being messed with right now."

My mom sits back in her chair, showing that she stands by what she's said, and to be fair, she's right.

Before I manage to get a word out, Ste quickly buts in. "Katy the last thing I want to do is mess with anyone's head, especially Sammie's after everything she has just been through. I'm just here to make sure she is okay."

My mom raises her eyebrows, "well as you can see, she's fine... Was there anything else?"

My eyes bulge once more. "Mom. One more and you're outside." I point my finger in the direction of the door and she presses her lips tightly together.

She sits back in her seat and folds her arms across her chest, "fine."

I face Ste again, and he just smiles at me. I try to apologize  through my eyes.

"How are you feeling?" He asks me sweetly, squeezing my hand after he has spoke.

"Not too bad at the minute. It's really when my painkillers wear off or I'm moving about that I'm in agony."

Sadness fills his eyes as he stares at me. Once again, I'm drawn into them. As I sit there staring straight into his blue eyes, that voice returns in the back of my mind, that warning, to which I look away and shake it out of my head. It's my conscience talking to me, or maybe it's my mom telepathically telling me that I'm treading on hot water and I'm going to get burned.