Chapter Thirteen

The beeping echoed through my ears. The four white walls were irritatingly plain and I could already feel myself going insane. A medium sized window sat in the centre of the far wall, a beautiful full moon visible through the glass, casting a light across the room that I stood in so weakly.

My eyes then locked on the frail little girl that lay in the centre of the room. Her bed was surrounded by machines, all attached to her small body working on different things. One was constantly checking her heart rate, another helping her breathe, another draining out blood from her stomach. The wires were everywhere and I felt terrified to go near.

My breathing stopped for a minute as I just stared at her. I wouldn't wish this upon any parent. No mother should ever have to look at their child as they lie in a hospital bed fighting for their life. I'd take her place in a heart beat. I wish it was me lying in that bed instead of her.

I walk steadily over to one of two chairs which sits beside her bed, not once did my eyes tare away from her.  I let out a heavy breath as I slowly shake my head at how unfair this was. She's eighteen years old. She's never done anything to deserve this.

My hands crawls along her bed, until I'm finally, after hours of waiting, able to lock my fingers around hers.

I give her hand a small squeeze, "You haven't got to worry now baby girl, Mommy's here," I kissed her hand as I held it in mine, "I'm not going anywhere."

I'd almost forgot my best friend as she sat beside me. The only thing reminding me of her presence were the light sounds of her breathing coming from beside me.

"She actually looks quite...peaceful," Shannon whispers, one of her hands on Sammie's leg, on top of the blankets that she had over her.

I take my other hand and rest it on my daughter's forehead, then sliding it back gently so it runs through her silky hair. I nod slowly as I do, "yeah, she does." I pray that at any minute her eyes will just open, and she will sit up and ask me for a hug, but I knew that was a stupid thought. I didn't even known if I was going to hear the sound of her voice again.

Tears rolled down my cheeks once again as all the awful thoughts enter my brain. I had cried so much today already that I didn't even think it was possible for me to cry anymore, but I was wrong. So, so wrong.

"If she could see you right now, she'd be saying, 'Mom, stop fussing over me!' " Shannon giggled into my ear. I appreciated her trying to cheer me up.

I smiled at her whilst wiping away my tears, "She means everything Shan. I can't lose her".

Shannon looks back at me, her chocolate brown eyes full of concern and upset. I know that she fears the same thing I do.

"I've been here before," I say, remembering the car accident almost four years ago. How my heart just stopped beating when I got the call, and my life got turned upside down. I picture the state Sammie was in after the crash, how her face was unrecognizable due to the injuries she had sustained when she flew through the window screen.

I always thought that was God testing me, wanting to see if I was strong enough. But here I am again, remaining vigil by her bedside, knowing that there's a chance she may never wake up.

"Dad, you want any help?" I called out into the kitchen.

Dad had spend the past hour slaving around in the kitchen, cooking something which smelt beyond delicious and I felt kind of bad that I was just sat in the lounge on my ass watching TV. Though, I'm not quite sure what help I would be in a kitchen. I have trouble even boiling water never mind preparing food.