Chapter Fourty-Three

A black horrendous sky, and the clouds leaking with insane amounts of water was what I had awoke to this morning. That, and the terrifying sounds of thunder echoing across Los Angeles. It definitely was not a day to visit the beach or even be outside for that matter.

I threw my blonde hair up into a messy bun that sat on top of my head, out and away from my face. I sat in front of the mirror as I did it, putting on a white bandanna to push back any loose bits of hair, and at the same watching the rain trickle down my bedroom windows through the reflection in the mirror.

I sighed. It was going to be one of those miserable days. Though, that meant a pyjama day. I definitely wouldn't be leaving the house today so there was no need to get myself properly dressed. I decided keeping on my navy blue Converse joggers and my oversized Rolling Stones T-shirt. My face remained make up free.

As I stepped down the stairs, flinching at the sound of the thunder outside, my ears were met with a much more beautiful sound. A very familiar sound, in fact. A sound that I expect angels will sound like the day I die. So peaceful and calming.

"You're singing and making hot chocolate," I say as I step into the kitchen, noticing how much more lively my mother was today.

She had her hair up similar to mine, but without the bandanna, and she wore a gray oversized Armani hoodie with a pair of black leggings. Her face, too, make up free.

A piece of buttered toast sat in between her fingers whilst she stirred the hot chocolate with a tea spoon. I smiled at the sight. Just last night she looked like she was ready for hospital, and now, well don't get me wrong she definitely didn't look completely okay, but she looked better. Some improvement is better than none at all. At least she's getting somewhere.

My mom turns to face me once I've spoken, bringing her version of Turning Tables to a halt.

"No, don't stop on my account. I love that song," I'm quick to say, taking a seat at the dining table. "You seem happier this morning."

I see her swallow the toast that she had just been chewing in her mouth before she replies. "I feel better this morning. I still don't feel 100% but, I felt like death yesterday."

"Have you told dad about..." I didn't really want to say the word 'baby'. I just figured that one word alone may be enough to put a dampner on her day before it's even really started. "...well, you know."

Her chewing immediately slows down once I've spoken, and she doesn't look at me, but much rather finds the bottom of her mug much more interesting. She takes a sip, allowing me to hear the sound of her gulp as the liquid drains down her throat. "No," she says simply, and I decide not to question why or when she was going to tell him. I didn't agree with her keeping it from him, but she had her own mind. At the minute, I didn't really plan on arguing with her about it. Especially since she was so fragile.

"Okay," I say quietly, letting her know that I wouldn't question any further.

"I called the doctor about an hour ago. I have an appointment in two days. If we're right and I am pr-" she pauses, taking in a breath of air, "and I am pregnant," she breathes out, "then I'll tell him straight away. Until then, he doesn't need to know a thing."

I unintentionally frown at her, making her raise her eyebrows in question.

"Don't you think he'll want to be there with you when you go to the doctor though mom? He won't want you to do this alone, and you don't have to, if you just tell him and-" my words or trying comfort were interrupted.

"What's the point?" She cuts me off, placing her cup on the kitchen counter with a bit of a slam, allowing me to pick up on the irritation she's feeling a lot easier. "What is the point telling him when I don't even know for sure yet if I'm pregnant? He'll just get worked up over something that, well, that might not even be anything at all!" Her voice had now turned into a yell, making my fists clench in annoyance.