Chapter Twenty-Four

"Hot chocolate?" My mom asks as she walks through the door holding two paper cups in her hands. She out stretches one, offering me the hot chocolate.

"You know me far too well," I grin, sitting the warm cup in my lap, feeling the inner bits of my knees instantly warm up through the sheets.

I move myself around, propping up pillows and fixing my gown in order to get myself comfy. My mom just smirks whilst looking at me weirdly, probably wondering why I was being so fussy. Being sat in the same bed for three days now, staring at the same four walls, was starting to take its effect on me. I sighed as I sat back against the pillows, bringing the hot chocolate up to my lips whilst looking straight ahead of me at the small painting that hung on the wall opposite my bed. I couldn't quite make out what exactly it was, in fact, I had been trying to work that out for the past three days. I was still deciding on whether it was a river or a woman stood under a waterfall. It was no use trying to figure it out without my glasses.

I return the hot chocolate to my lap and watch as my mom flicks through her phone.

"Anything interesting going on in the world?" I ask her.

Her blue eyes looked more on the shade of green today, as she looked up from her phone to shake her head. A pair of black Ray bans sat on the top of her head. She had most likely been wearing them whilst walking around the hospital.

"No, babe. I did release a statement this morning though, confirming that you were okay and on the mend. Hopefully the media outside will calm down now."

I found it quite strange how the media were outside due to my accident. I would expect it if it was my mom in my position, yeah, but me? I'm not the famous one? Why did I matter? It was as if people were actually interested in my life. Of course, they just want their headlines.

My thoughts of media, headlines and paparazzi are cut off when my nurse enters the room with a beaming smile on her face. She looked towards mom, then back at me, bringing her hands together in front of her. I was sensing good news. Very good news, in fact.

"You'll both be happy to know that we will be discharging you later tonight, Samantha,"

She hadn't even finished her sentence before I was filled with relief. I could finally get away from the bare walls and sickening hospital scent that would most likely linger on my skin until I got out and showered. I missed the feel of a proper mattress, and I actually began to miss the sounds of Jessa's irritating snores that woke me up at all hours in the morning.

"All the scans we did this morning have come back clear. Everything looks great! Your side will probably be sore and very sensitive for the next few weeks whilst the wound properly heels, so make sure you stay away from doing exercise, or sports if you play them-" I snort at the thought of me doing any kind of sport. "-and just try to take it easy. Don't do any heavy lifting or moving yourself around too much. You need to give it time to heal properly."

I nod along with what she's saying, just too pleased with the fact I'm getting out of here. This was definitely a way for me to be able to chill out for the next two weeks. Taking it easy, like she said. I smile over at my pleased looking mom, feeling thankful that my time in here was finally coming to an end after what felt like the whole eighteen years of my life.

The nurse leaves shortly after that, going to attend some other patients, whilst I sit in this bed watching the clock tick away; counting down the hours until I was free from hospital smells and this dreadful blue gown.

"That's good news isn't it?" My mom beams, touching my hand with hers.

I turn mine over so that my palm is connected with hers and our fingers are linked, as I nod in reply to her question.