Chapter Thirty-Nine

I had briefly remembered falling asleep on the drive back home in the car with Louis as I awoke on my bed wrapped in a fluffy cream bed throw. The room was dark, except for a small lamp that lit up a little section of my room in the corner.

I had no clue how long I had been sleeping for or what time it was, but I knew it had to be  really early hours in the morning. The sky was completely black outside and the whole of my house was silent. Not a voice, creek or breath to be heard.

I looked up, seeing Louis peacefully sleeping at the end of my bed, still in a sitting position. My mom had given us separate rooms when we came to stay here, probably not realizing that me and Louis are both eighteen years old and not children anymore, but she definitely knew that I had been creeping into the spair room most nights to share his bed with him, and vice versa. She didn't mind though. It was probably just for my father's peace at mind, really.

I pulled the throw off of myself, covering Louis with it instead. I smiled to myself at the way his eyebrows began to crease in his sleep, his head turning to face a different direction.

It was hard to find my way out of my room with such little lighting, and the bits of clothing and a towel on my floor from yesterday's shower acted as obstacles. It became a challenge to leave the room without waking up my boyfriend, but I managed it.

I didn't turn on any of the house lights, knowing how much of a light sleeper Lucas was, so part two of my challenge then became to get myself down the stairs without tripping or falling down them, and probably breaking my neck in the process. Once again, I managed it no problem.

I walked through the living room, now finding my phone and using the light as my guide. The sight of the clock on the wall showed me that it was 3.30am, to which i asked myself, 'why on earth am I awake at this time?!' I should be upstairs still sleeping, but I was awoken by my terrible need to clench my thirst. That happened sometimes. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with the most awful dry mouth and need of a drink, to which I'd usually down a pint of water and head straight back off to bed.

My eyes were squinted as I tiptoed through the living room, holding an arm out in front of me so I didn't bang into anything. My hand slid quietly across the wall, feeling around in search of the kitchen light switch.

I felt like I had been stood here for ages searching for it, until finally my fingers came into contact with the plastic switch and the entire kitchen lit up before my eyes.

"Ahhhh!" I screeched, spinning myself around on my heels, eyes shut in the process, and coming straight into contact with the wall behind me.

I quickly felt the bruise form on my forehead.

"Why are you awake!?" I whisper- shout as I turn myself back around, facing the black haired figure that stood in the kitchen clutching a cup of coffee in both hands. "Look what you made me do."

My mother had her hand covering her mouth as she tried to silently laugh.

"Sorry," she whispered back through a giggle.

The feel of my bare feet touching the freezing cold marble flooring in the kitchen made me jump. I rubbed my eyes to wake me up a little more.

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

My mom looks at me and shrugs, "I woke up like an hour ago not feeling too great."

I raise my eyebrows, "well you know what they say, coffee is a great remedy for that."

Her blue eyes open a little more as her head cocks to the side, "it is?"

"No, mom. That was sarcasm for, 'why are you drinking coffee at three in the morning?'"