Chapter Fifteen

I jump straight out of my seat, staring down at the blood covering my hand, my eyes then diverting to the bloody mess all over Sammie's bed. I pull back the blanket covering her and see the blood has completely soaked her gown. It must be coming from her wound.

I'm now shaking uncontrollably, my mouth wide open as tears roll down my face. I look to my right, realizing that Tamra is nowhere to be seen. She'd gone to get help.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart. Mommy's right here," I say to Sammie through my tears, stroking her head with my clean hand.

That's when my eyes set on the red button right beside her bed. The words 'push for emergency' written in bold just above it. I quickly slam my hand against it. My hand had only just pulled away when the room filled with an ear piercing alarm, enough to get the attention of people from a mile away.

My tear filled eyes lock on the door, praying that at any minute now there will be some help. The stain on her gown gets bigger, as more and more blood excapes from her body.

The door then slams open, four nurses and three doctors come sprinting in with a tray of equipment, followed by an out of breath Tamra.

I point down at Sammie's side, "s-she's bleeding so much. I don't know what's happening."

As all of the doctors and nurses run to her, one of them comes straight to me and I already know what's going to happen. They're going to make me leave her. They're going to make me leave my daughter on her own again.

"Miss Perry-"

"I'm not leaving her!" I quickly shout, stepping backwards away from the nurse.

I look at my daughter as she just lies there bleeding to death, too afraid to leave this room in case I never see her again. My heart is beating so quickly, so quickly that I'm terrified it will come out of my chest.

"You can't make me leave her," I sob, standing at the bottom of her bed completely helpless whilst the doctors try to figure out what's going on.

Why was this happening? What had I done so bad in my life that meant my daughter had to go through this? I couldn't stand it.

"Miss Perry, please could you step outside for a minute. I can assure you that you're best not being in here while we take a lot at the problem. It won't be nice for a mother to see."

The thought of seeing my daughter bleeding to death any longer makes me physically sick. I just nod blank, my face expressionless. My hand quickly takes a hold of hers, my lips then pressing against the soft skin on the back of her hand.

Tamra's hands rest on both of my shoulders, her thumbs doing circles on my back comfortingly, whilst we both sit outside in the corridor waiting to find out what the hell is happening. I chew nervously on my thumb, not able to calm myself down. It's like God is setting me up on the most painful challenge you can think of. No amount of physical pain could hurt me more at the minute than what I'm feeling emotionally. In my heart.

It had been a long twenty minutes, before finally, a male doctor left Sammie's room and approached us. I instantly stood up in my seat to await the information, my hands fiddling with a bit of loose string on my sleeve.

"What's going on?" I ask him, feeling one of Tam's hands then return to my back.

"We think there's another bleed that wasn't picked up on the scan, so we're going to have to rush her straight back into surgery to find out what's going on,"

I look down at the floor, pressing my lips tightly together in order to stop myself from sobbing out loud.

"Will you keep us up-to-date on what's going on please, Doctor?" Tamra asks him on my behalf, knowing that I want as much information as possible, and doctors can be good at keeping parents out of the loop sometimes.