Chapter Sixteen

Tamra's face was the first thing I was greeted by as I walked down the corridor leading to Sammie's room. Her arms were crossed and her eyebrows were raised, yet her eyes still remained soft. I just looked back at her, not really knowing what to say, well, not until her nose immediately caught onto something and she took a deep inhale.

"You stink of cigarettes," Tam states, realising then where I had been.

"I needed it," I defend myself, "it's calmed me down hasn't it?" I ask when I notice Tamra roll her eyes at me.

"I'm not your mother, Katy." She simply says.

We don't say anything else on the subject, instead my eyes just search around for Oliver, after I quickly see that he's nowhere to be found. I run my hand through my hair, feeling the slight oiliness of it rub off onto my skin, but that's not what bothers me right now. What bothers me is that two days ago I had a perfect family, and now, well now I feel like all that is falling apart.

I sigh heavily. There's no way that he would have left. That's his daughter in there too. He wouldn't leave her, of course he wouldn't. Either he was in the bathroom or he'd gone somewhere else in the hospital to get away from me.

Tam notices me scanning the area with my eyes, "he's gone to find the doctor to find out how long she's going to be in surgery."

The only thing I manage to say after that is, "oh."

The next seven minutes is spent in complete silence. Tamra sits on the chair opposite me with her head in her hands, as I chew anxiously on my now disgraceful looking nails. The mint green paint that I had coated onto them just yesterday morning was now patchy from where I had been biting, and I realized that I probably needed to find another habit for the next couple of hours.

Doctors, nurses, surgeons and patients all passed me by, some of them taking second glances, others whispering to one another that I'm Katy Perry, and some muttered "poor girl" as they walked past. Yet it seemed that none of the faces were familiar. No doctors with more news. No surgeons with answers. And even still, no Oliver.

My head rolls back, my bun pressing up against the wall behind me, to which at that point my eyes come into contact with a blonde haired figure turning the corner. His hands fall by his side as his tired eyes look back at me, but then quickly cut off the eye contact we're holding.

"Hey, did you find anything out?" Tam asks, her hopeful face looking up at Ol's.

I feel the disappointment when he just shakes his head in reply, a heavy breath leaving his mouth. "She's still in surgery at the minute. They can't tell us anything until she's out and they know themselves what's going on."

I was starting to get tired of seeing these walls around me, and it was as if I was unable to breathe again. Though, they say no news is good news, right? I used that phrase as a way to calm myself, but the sight of a huge open window across from me made me jump out if my seat so quickly that I almost fell back down.

My hand rests on the coldness of the metal around the window, now managing to peer my head out a little bit so that I could look out over LA. The sun was just beginning to set. Red, orange and yellow lit up the skies as the sun began slowly disappearing over the horizon. It reminded me of how Sammie liked to watch the sun set when she was younger.

"Katy, come on!"

I giggle as I look up from my book, running a hand through my black layers in my hair. I watch as Sammie runs around on the sand, just a typical four year old enjoying the beach as if nothing else matters.

"Sammie, are you not going to let me sit down at all today?" I laugh, dropping my book down next to me in the sand.

My mom chuckles at an excited Sammie as she just jumps around whilst laughing, her honey coloured locks bouncing as she does. I admire her, unable to tare my eyes away for a single second as the most beautiful and contagious smile is present on her lips, whilst the sun shines through her gorgeous blue eyes. Nothing else in the world right now could compare.

"Katy!" Sammie shouts again, folding her arms as she grins at me.

I roll my eyes at the fact I was wrapped around that little tiny finger of hers, but I didn't care. My world was standing just a few meters away from me and I had every intention of always letting her know how much I love her and always being there whenever she wanted me to be.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!"

I scoop her up into my arms, feeling the bits of sand from her legs rub off onto my white T-shirt. I kiss her hair, before I just stand there with her in my arms, hugging her close to me. It's almost as if I'm afraid to let her go for a single second at the minute.

The only sounds right now came from the calm waves of the Santa Barbara water and the quiet sound of Sammie inhaling and exhaling softly. Her head was resting on my shoulder whilst she played with the tips of my hair.

"I like your hair," Sammie whispers, twisting it around her fingers.

I chuckle, "I like yours too."

She isn't looking at me since she's too interested in my hair, but a smile appears on her lips after I've spoken. She just continues to sit comfortably in my arms, us swaying gently from left to right.

Sammie yawns tiredly, probably since me, her, mom, dad, Victoria and Uncle George had been here for a good couple of hours now. All the heat and playing had most likely warn her out.

"Look at that, Katy!" Sammie points as she speaks, shuffling herself around in my arms so she could get a better view. Her eyes are focused completely on the sun as it is beginning to disappear over the horizon.

It's one of the most beautiful things to see, but I'm unable to keep myself from staring at Sammie as she sits mesmerised by the sight before her eyes. Her lips wear a permanent smile as she watches.

"It's so pretty," she says quietly, almost as if she thinks if she speaks too loud it will all just disappear.

"I can think of something much more prettier," I whisper into her ear.

Sammie looks up at me, the deep red from the sky reflects through her eyes. I just smile down at her as she looks.

"Really? What's that?" She asks.

I softly tap her nose with my first finger, "you."

Her curious face breaks into the most unimagineable grin, the little dimple on her chin showing as she does. She doesn't say anything, instead she just digs her head deep into my neck and watches as the sun says goodbye for another day.