Chapter Ten

“Hurry up!”

I jump at the ear piercing shouts as he holds the knife a few centimetres away from his body, pointing it directly at me and Louis as we stand in the corner of the store, me huddled closely into Lou.

I feel my hands trembling as they grip tightly onto his shirt, but I don't cry. I just stare at the knife that is pointed in my direction, feeling my mouth become dry as I swallow the last remaining saliaver in my mouth. It's like a rock forcing its way down my throat as I gulp. And it's almost as if I can already feel the sharp end of the knife piercing into my fair skin, ripping through the organs inside my body.

The man behind the counter fiddles with the cash register, beads of sweat forming along his forehead. Our lives were in his hands at the minute.

"Are you asking for two deaths on your conscience?" The robber yells at him, holding eye contact with me for about three seconds afterwards. Not a slight bit of guilt was visible in his dark, terrifying eyes.

"The cash register won't open,"

I sense the panic in his voice, the fear, the dread, whilst his shaky body scurries around, smacking the cash register furiously, pulling at the till praying it would open. But it doesn't.

He tugs at his hair. His tongue runs over his top and bottom lips to add moisture as his body continues to move in panick. I feel much sympathy for him, but at the same time feeling more distressed by the minute.

"Please, please, please..." My whispering is almost cut off as I choke on my tears. My voice is timid and weak.

"Shhhhh," Lou coos, stroking my shoulders with his thumbs.

He's probably scared himself. Probably is an understatement, I mean, of course he's scared himself, we're stood with a knife pointing directly at us. Who in the right mind wouldn't be scared? But he's a boy, he won't show it.

Instead, he does something I wouldn't expect.

I feel his hands drop from around me. I immediately feel even more petrified that what I already did.

I grabbed ahold of his hand as he began to step forward, "Don't leave me." I plead, to which he smiles.

"I would never leave you, Sammie."

His words are convincing and I nodd. The way he calls me Sammie rather than him normally calling me Hudson makes me smile.

"Be careful," I whisper.

Louis continues stepping closer to the man, his eyes switching from the knife to him and back again.

"Dude, listen," Louis begins.

I stand there, terrified for Lou, hoping that whatever he's about to do will do some good in the situation. My mind wanders to the help that I could do. I have my phone in my pocket but I doubt that would do anything since the sirens coming from outside just a few seconds ago indicated the police were already here, but they couldn't come inside or take any action because this wierdo was capable of anything. Dan and Jessa were probably outside praying for our lives.

"... Uh, please, just think about what you're doing here."

The robbers face spins around to face Louis, his jaw clenched tightly shut.

"Don't tell me what to do, kid!"

I close my eyes tightly, hoping that when I reopen them everything will be okay.

"I'm not, I'm not!" That's when I feel the fear in Louis' voice, "I'm just saying, look, do any of us really deserve this? I beg you to think about what you're doing."