Chapter Twenty-Five

I remember when I was little,

playing upstairs in my room.

Getting dressed and brushing my hair,

then being drove to school.

They said I was a little dreamer,

And that I took right after you.

Years had passed, it was time to leave home,

but I know you didn’t want me to.

I’ll be coming home soon, Mommy,

I’ll be coming home.

You see me as this little girl of yours,

but I can do it on my own.

The world might be a big place,

but I know that I’m not all alone.

I’ll be coming home soon, Mommy,

I’ll be coming home.

Ooh, I’ll be coming home soon, Mommy,

I’ll be coming home.

“Damn it!” I pull the guitar strap from around myself and let the guitar drop straight onto the bed beside me. “That was so off key, what?!” I groan to myself.

I had woken up this morning, weirdly, with a chorus for a song. Perhaps it was because I had gone to sleep last night feeling so guilty over the fact I had come back to college when my mom would have prefered me to go home, but I knew that if I called her regularly, she’d be fine.

“Aren’t you supposed to be resting?” A voice asks from behind me, startling me for a moment. I could have sworn I was on my own.

Jessa grins at me, arching an eyebrow after she’s spoken, but I just roll my eyes back at her before letting my body drop down onto the bed beside the instrument I was just playing.

“I’m playing a guitar, Jess, not a game of basketball. I’m sure it won’t do me too much damage.”

She just smirks at me in response. Her wavy brown hair is pulled up into a ponytail and her make up is a lot lightly done today. I was guessing she was having a day where she couldn't really be bothered. She did actually look quite tired.

"Oh, and for the record," Jessa says, spinning herself back around to face me, "that song was incredible. You can tell who your mother is."

I smile in return, but feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment. I guess I'm not used to having an audience when I'm singing and writing. It's usually just my own ears.

I always dreamt of one day making it big just like my mother has, but I want it to be because of the hard work I'm putting into it. I want to be able to stand on a stage and sing songs to thousands of people, songs that I have wrote, and hear them singing the lyrics back to me. I want to write songs that people can relate to and feel inspired by. I want to have people who can say I've made an impact in their life, just like my mom has with her fans. She's strong. She knows who she is. That's why people can relate and look up to her. The ultimate dream, the thing that would just complete everything, would be to share a stage with my mother and sing together. That is something I will always stride towards.

                            *** 

"I knew you would be out of that room," Jessa says with a shake of her head.