Chapter 16: The Good Old Days

Anna's Pov

"Ahaha! No way! You did not!" My voiced bubbled with laughter as I clutched my stomach in despair. 

"Yes! The cricket was GINORMOUS! So, I hopped off the toilet and tried to whip it with my shirt!" He shivered at the horrible memory.

"Ew, I hope you were wearing boxers, or else that would be a picture I'd rather not imagine."

"Don't worry, I was. No need to picture me in my naked nature."

"Gross!" I slapped his shoulder playfully.

We had been talking for what seemed like a half hour, but my suspicions were wrong when I glanced at my watch.

What the bloody heck? It was seven o'clock! We've been chatting in the shop for about FOUR hours!

"Oh my gosh, David. We've been here for four hours! We better get going." I glanced back at my phone once more before shutting off my phone. Just as I was about to stand up, David immediately stopped me.

"Don't worry." David gave me a tight lipped smile, "I texted my parents five minutes ago. They should be here any second now." It didn't even seem as if he was talking; it was honestly more like spitting the words out in distaste.

"Wait, why? Why don't we walk back to school and ride in your car instead?"

"My car is at the repair shop. Some idiot hit my car while they were pulling out of the parking lot last week. So, I had to walk to school today." David explained.

"Oh, makes sense then." I nodded.

On cue, we heard a car honk outside. I stood up from my now accustomed spot on the cozy red couch, and gathered my possessions from the coffee table in front of us. David walked beside me as we strolled out the shop, waving our goodbyes to Carol on our way out.

I surprisingly did not want to go so soon. It sort of felt like the good old days. Just the two of us talking about anything on our minds. It felt unusually great to hang out with him again, and I didn't know whether to consider that as a good thing or not.

With every step we took, it seemed as if the tension grew thicker, and I couldn't pinpoint what it was.  I shifted my gaze to David, and it surprised me to see his jaw clenched and his eyes turning into ice as he stared daggers at his parents' car.

I reached my hand towards his and give it a reassuring squeeze. "Is everything alright?"

He jumped slightly. "O-oh, I'm fine." His face contorted with many expressions, and it looked as if he was constipated if anything else.

 Before I got the chance to grasp the handle of the car door, his hand quickly beat me to it. He opened the door and gestured me to go in the car first, which I thanked him gratefully for.

Did he need to poop the whole time we were talking? Maybe he looked angry because he wanted to just go home as soon as possible and take a dump. What if I was holding him up and he needed to go to the toilet?!

"Anna! I haven't seen you in forever!" David's mother's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. She brought me into a tight hug, sucking the air out of me as she squeezed me with all her might. "Ugh! We have so much to catch up on! Since this idiot doesn't bring you home anymore."

"Well, the 'idiot' is your son." David retorted, crossing his arms over his chest and huffing.

Any normal family would say that in a joking manner, but his statement seemed surprisingly serious. 

However, his parents didn't even bat an eyelash at his remark. They laughed as if it was the funniest thing said in the whole world.

"When did I ever go wrong with you?" She smiled, but David didn't seemed so amused.

A guffaw escaped my lips at her remark, but something felt weird about being in the car with them, and I just couldn't figure out what.

I couldn't tell whether it was the new car smell, the leather seats, the tinted windows, ot the fact that it had always felt as if I were riding in a limo. Maybe the luxury of being in such a fancy car made it seem weird to me.

Or maybe it was the fact that the tension in the car was unbearable, and neither of David's parents even cared to notice it. 

Maybe something happened during the time after he ditched me. And judging by the awkward silence in the car, it must have been something serious.

"So Anna, you haven't been in our house in quite a while. I've missed you so much while you were gone! Where have you been these past few years young lady?"

Douchebag Dave coughed awkwardly beside me, as if signaling to not tell them what had happened over the past two years. As much as I wanted to tell them the truth and beat him up, it was pretty complicated to explain. Also, even if I didn't have a good relationship with my parents didn't mean I wanted him to have the same thing with his. I'd rather have it kept as a secret for now.

"U-uhm..." I stuttered, trying to come up with a lie. "Well, I've been really busy at home for a while with..... school stuff and yeah.."

After my response it was once again quiet in the car, except for when I stated in which direction to go to. When we arrived in front of my house, night time had already approached, and the sun had completely set a few seconds ago.

I slowly unbuckled my seat belt, and reached for the door. I slightly waved goodbye to them, but my eyebrows furrowed as I noticed someone missing from the car.

"Don't think I'm not going to walk you to your door after we finally got a chance to hang out. It would be impolite."

I jumped slightly as I saw a grinning David behind me.

"Well, should we get a move on or?"

"Oh yeah, sorry." I apoligized profusely as I waved one last goodbye to his parents and shut the door. We walked side by side towards the porch, and I took out my house key from my backpack.

"Well, I had a really good time today, and I hope you did too. I know this doesn't really change anything between us, but I hope we could do this again in the future."

" I'm very surprised to say this, but I kind of had a good time too. But you're right, it doesn't, but I enjoyed spending tine with you again I guess. I shouldn't have, but I can't lie."

"I'll take that as brownie points." He winked. "I should get going. So have a good night."

"Have a good ni-" I was cut off was David took me in for a hug.

"Thank you." He whispered.

My breaths came out ragged as I breathed slowly. My arms stayed frozen by my sides as I shut my eyes tightly

Don't give in. Don't let him get to you. It's just a stupid hug, that's all.

In an instant, the warmth disappeared. Next thing I knew, I saw David already hopping into the car and giving me one last wave before the door shut.  I shakily unlocked the front door and entered the house, and shut the door behind me. Once I hear the sound of their engine roar and take off, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I collapsed on the couch, still dazed.

What a day.

««««««««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Hi loves! I know I haven't been posting often and I'm sorry. I've been stressed with school work and I can't keep up with wattpad. I try to rush and try and post a chapter in a day, but it turns out to be crappy. Thanks for reading!