Go on now, kill yourself to keep yourself alive.

"Everything will be okay, if it's not, it's not the end." - John Lennon

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 61

Fiore didn't sleep that night.  She paced and wondered about those she cared for.  Somehow Chuck had forced his way onto that list.  Fiore found herself hoping by some miracle that he'd make it out unscathed.

When her phone rang she answered.  "Status?"

"Worried?" Came Chuck's drawl.

"How are my men?"

"Alive, the lot of them."

"And yours?"

"Not all were as fortunate."

"How many did you lose?"

"Doesn't matter.  It's done."

"And you?  I assume you were unscathed?"

"Mostly." Chuck evaded.  "Are you still in Paris?"

"Yes."

"Good, I'm on my way there."

"Chuck-"

Chuck hung up and Fiore sighed.  She felt the relief wash over her.  "They're alive.  Chuck kept my men alive.  Have the code word changed immediately." Fiore decided.  "Get the update to Henry."

It wasn't long before there was a knock on Fiore's door.  Jax helped Chuck limp in. 

"What happened?" Fiore demanded.

"War." Chuck laughed then winced.

"He got shot." 

"Put him on the bed." Fiore ordered.  "Where did he get shot?"

"My thigh." Chuck offered. 

"Kenneth call Hennessy up.  Jax, are you injured?"

"I'll manage."

"Not what I asked.  Are you injured?"

"His left shoulder." Chuck offered. 

"Jacket off, now." Fiore barked.

Jax had a bullet wound in his left shoulder and no exit wound.  "It's lodged somewhere in there.  Chuck, pants off, now."

Chuck grinned.  "I've always liked the bossy side of you."

Fiore rolled her eyes as Chuck was helped out of his pants and Hennessy rushed in.

"Bullet wound in his left shoulder, no exit wound, retrieve the bullet." Fiore informed as she pointed to Jax. "And this one has an injury to his thigh."

Hennessy got to work. He gave Jax a local anesthetic before he started the process of dislodging the bullet. Fiore observed the wound on Chuck's thigh. "At least it's clean. You do know you're not supposed to let them shoot you, right?"