The freedom is nice, but with any freedom comes with responsibility.

"I don't care what you think of me.  I don't think of you at all." Coco Chanel

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 51

Fiore was barking last minute orders and changes. Everything was coming together nicely, but Fiore didn't want nice. She wanted excellence, she wanted perfection. An hour before her guests were scheduled to arrive Fiore made her way up to her rooms.

Fiore's gown was a floor length and champagne colored. It was sleeveless and had a sweetheart neckline shaped with the silky satin.  The bodice was beaded and the skirt had a little flare from the waist, but was overall a simple a-line dress.  Fiore paired it with her mother's ruby necklace and ruby earrings.  She also wore a diamond and ruby studded bracelet.  When someone knocked at her door she wasn't surprised to see Kenneth.

"Ben's just arrived.  He'd like to escort you down."

"Send him up."

"I will.  And must say, I'm glad it's not LeGrande."

"LeGrande will still be here.  He's bringing another woman.  And he's making a show of her.  Watch for anyone watching him."

"Why?"

"You know why." Fiore answered bored as she finished the final touches on her lashes.  "Now go fetch Ben."

When Ben knocked Fiore opened the door and Ben gasped. "Wow."

Fiore chuckled at that. "Thank you, you clean up nicely yourself."

Ben laughed then. "Don't get me wrong, I knew you were beautiful before, but this is more than I expected."

Fiore nodded a smile on her face. "Thank you, ready to go down?"

Fiore greeted everyone as they came in.  Everyone was happy to be there, it had been ages since she'd hosted and she'd missed it.  It made her feel normal amidst all the chaos that was now her life.  It was hard to believe that in two days time she'd be gone again and not able to return until she was in remission.

Ben was a perfect date.  He knew when to smile, what to say, how to react to everyone.  The only tension came when Chuck and Ben shook hands.

Ben was a fantastic dancer.  Fiore was more than a little surprised when Chad cut in. 

"I know that look on your face." Chad whispered as the pair waltzed.  "Do my eyes deceive me or is that Benjamin Montague?"

"It is."

"You like him." Chad laughed.

"I like a lot of people."

"But you and I both know that look on your face.  It's nice to see you hopeful again."

"Chad, don't start."

"It's a good thing.  But a little birdie told me you're about to be gone again.  Weren't you planning on paying us a visit?"

"No." Fiore shook her head.  "I wasn't."

Hurt and confusion flashed across his face.  "What?  Why?"