Beginning of the End.

A/N: A sneak peek of my new story "Always" is scheduled to come out today! So be sure to look for it! 🔥❤️

I toss and turn in bed, nightmares consuming my every thought. In my slumber I cling to Peeta hoping his presence will make them go away. But not even his warmth and love can do that. I don't want to face the fact the I'll never sleep beside the man I love again. I don't want to think about how I'm putting my unborn children's lives at risk. My hands ball Peeta's shirt in my small fists, not daring to wake knowing the flashbacks will consume me. Peeta stirs, moving from my grasp and standing from the bed. I latch onto his midsection and try to pull him towards me. "Please don't go." I say with tears in my eyes as he looks down at me. 

"I'm just going to the bathroom, alright?" He asks so softly it sounds as if he's talking to Rye.

"Alright." I nod. I sit on the edge of the bed, waiting to make sure he actually is coming back.

"Oh Katniss." He sighs holding onto my sides as he crawls in bed next to me. He places his arms around my body, I wrap my legs around his body. And together we lay there breathing each other in.

"I love you Peeta." I remind him.

"I love you too." He whispers back.

When he finally can't take it anymore, he stretches before standing. He tells me he's going to make breakfast, which means it will be an hour. Silently, I dress and pull on my old hunting boots. Then my father's hunting jacket. I should look into getting new boots, and getting the jacket fixed. The toes of my boot are beginning to buldge, which will eventually lead to ripping.  But for now their fine. I slip on the jacket, then my lace my boots before I walk to the door. "Where are you off to?" He asks softly.

"To see Prim, I'll be quick." I tell him.

"Alright, love you." He says placing a kiss on my lips then I walk from the door. The cool winter air lashes in my face, I draw my coat up closer to my face. I see Gale, walking behind the houses. A bundle of dries flowers in his hands. I wonder where he got those, probably his younger sister's grave. She was too innocent to die in this revolution. So was Rue, and Prim.

"Gale, will you walk with me?" I call when our eyes meet.

"To where?"

"Prim's grave." I answer.

"Of course." He nods.

I'm glad someone is coming with, I'll go insane without someone with me. Like when I go hunting. The flashbacks are almost inevitable. We walk slowly together, not speaking a word. We reach the grave, the flowers in Gale's hands let a few petals float to the ground. Then I realize he got her new flowers. "Thank you." I breath into his shoulder.

"Of course." He nods. We stare down at her newly flowered grave, headstone reading 'Primrose Everdeen'. She never had a middle name, not that I knew of. "Rory told me once he loved her." I look at him. "Like Peeta loves you, he had for a while. He told me he told her in district thirteen, but she turned him down claiming she was too busy."

I let a year escape my eye. "She never loved, never had a first kiss, never had so many important milestones in her life." I whisper.

"I used to say all thing happen for a reason, our fathers deaths. They made us stronger, taught us to care for our families. But her death ... I can't seem to find a reason for her." He says tears in his eyes. I snake my arm around his waist, and his around my frail shoulders.

"Sometimes I wonder why I used to love you, and then I remember it's because you always know the right this to say."

He smiles down at me. "What can I say? I'm a ladies man through and through."