John Frusciante -@izbrooke80s

"You'll call everyday right?" you asked your best friend, John.

He auditioned for a part in the band Red Hot Chili Peppers, and he got accepted, they almost clicked immediately, and you were so happy that he was getting out of this town, but at the same time... You were very sad that you wouldn't see him for a long time.

"Every time I get a chance." he responded, kissing your cheek.

You and John weren't an item, but you so badly wanted to be.

"Send pictures too! Write if you want, but I want to keep some happy images of you!" you told him.

"You got it, I have to go, but I love you. I'll see you whenever!" He smiled.

"I love you too... Have fun." you smiled as he walked into the airport.

He kept his promise.

For a while.

Maybe the first few months, but whose checking?

~

"Hi Y/N! The band is great, we've played a few gigs and its amazing."

~

The Next week.

"Hey Y/N, sorry I hardly called all week, we've been busy on doing shows and being on television even!"

Slowly the calls became less and less, and soon it was almost a month and a half before he called you again.

"Hey, Y/N. This was one of the best decisions I've ever made!" he said.

Suddenly, you heard a female voice in the background, "Come back to bed baby, I'm ready again."

You shivered.

So, that was it then? That's where you stood to him?

You'd only received one Polaroid oh John since he left, and apparently you weren't important anymore.

Your feelings shattered into a million pieces as you looked at the polaroid and the hung up phone.

From that day forth, you hadn't heard from John at all.

He seemed to have gone without a trace, and you only saw him when one of his music videos with his band came on, or MTV reported something on the band or on him.

Occasionally you would find them on television, performing on a late night talk show or game show.

You still felt that betrayal.

You didn't know weather it was your fault or his, yours for not saying anything or his for practically lying to you about you being his best friend.

But that was the thing, you WERE his best friend.

He wasn't lying, but he's forgotten.

A few years later, you were walking down the street, trying to get to your work at the local music shop.

Though there were many albums there that painfully reminded you of your lost friendship, you loved the music shop, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Once you reached work, you flipped the 'open' sign, and went behind the counter, putting your stuff in the back room.

You heard a bell ring, signaling a customer.

"I'll be right with you!" you shouted from the back room, hoping that the stranger had heard you.

As much as you hated to admit it, you kept John's polaroid picture of himself on you.

You usually placed it under the glass at the front register so that you could look down at it when you wanted to.

You walked out to the front, still organizing everything on the desk as you spoke, "What can I help you with today?"

"I'd like to find some Hendrix, some Elton John, and.. hmm... if you have the newest Butthole Surfers album, I'd like to buy that too." he said.

He sounded to familiar.

You decided that it was time to look up at the stranger so you could smile at them, and show them the way to each section for those certain musicians.

You looked at the man and saw long brown hair, past the soldiers, and a light beard.

This man had chocolate brown eyes, the kind that looked like they'd have a story to tell, and a bad experience or two.

You thought he looked a little like... Well...

You pushed off your thoughts, and showed the man to the sections. He thanked you, and after a good few minutes, he came to the register with 8 different cd's.

"Good choices, my friend." you commented as you scanned them.

"Thanks." he said as he drummed on the counter.

"You've got some cool pictures and stickers here." he commented looking at your desk.

"Thank you, I took some of these pictures, received some, and collected some and the stickers." you commented as you told him the total and he handed you the money.

He looked down and suddenly, he froze.

You paused to look at what he was gazing so intensely at and noticed that it was the picture of John.

"You alright?" you asked.

"That's me?" he commented.

"I took that picture and sent it to... Oh my god, Y/N?" he asked, shock hitting his face and voice.

"O-oh my god... John... You look so different!" you shouted, running from the other end of the counter to go hug him.

As you launched yourself into his arms he held you tightly, just like he used to, burying his face in your neck.

After a minute or two of hugging you found out that John was back because he had been in rehab previously, he got pretty nasty with drugs and needed to just come back to his home.

He apologized for all the years of neglecting, and you apologized for never trying to reach out to him as well as not ever seeing any of their shows.

John insisted he stay until you were off work, and he insisted on taking you out for dinner.

After catching up, he stopped and spoke softly.

"I have something that I should have done a long time ago but I was just to afraid to do it."

"And what would that be?" you asked curiously.

He had you face him and he kissed you softly, as he caressed your hands in his own.

This was something that you had waited for, for a long time and were so glad that it finally happened.

When you parted, you spoke shakily; "Please don't leave me again."

"If I leave, you're coming with me."